Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Suggestions heating bills high hubby cold

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 167
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes
Our heating bills were off the chart last winter spending between $600 - $800 a month. I’ve been very diligent about keeping the thermostat lower and wearing an extra sweater. My DH has always been cold even in the summer! He wears several layers: a T shirt, long sleeved shirt, sweater, hooded sweatshirt and a fleece jacket! And still complains he’s cold. He keeps turning the heat up and turning room heaters on. I go around and turn then off. This goes on all day! He brought a room heater to his bedroom and I asked him not to because I’m afraid he will forget to turn it off! He already has a heated mattress pad and an electric blanket! I cannot afford to pay $1000 a month on heat! I am frustrated any suggestions?

Comments

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Hello JC5, In the military when in very cold situations we used waffle weave long under ware.  In artic conditions we had nylon with quilted and filled long under ware.   Our house is 3 bedroom and I close doors and vent opening on the 2 unused rooms.  Not sure those will be much help.  Rick
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Long under ware will certainly help.

You might also try a cap/hat.

How about an electric throw to keep at his chair for when he is cold?

My dad dressed for winter inside as he too was always cold.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    JC I can definitely relate to what you’re saying. My dh is always cold!  He has on the long johns, heavy sweat pants, T-shirt, fleece lined pullover, fleece lined jacket, electric throw blanket, and has a little heater in front of him!  All that and still says he’s cold! Had his blood checked last week and everything checked out good. No medical reason for being so cold. Thermostat sat at 72, house is very warm.   We are on propane and that has gone out of sight. I have a t shirt on!  So I do understand! One funny thing, when dh has to go to bathroom for some unknown reason, he thinks he has to take everything off! I do mean everything! I don’t get it! But I just redress him afterwards. Hang in there!
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Is it possible that they aren’t actually cold?  My husband says he’s thirsty but then doesn’t drink, and says he’s hungry when he’s just eaten.  Could they be misinterpreting what their brain is telling them, something like “I don’t feel right so I must be cold,” or like a fussy baby who doesn’t know what they want.  Does distraction help at all?  Sorry if I’m way off base, just wondering.
  • Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    From what I understand, they actually do feel cold. A PWD often can not properly regulate their body temperature. Another brain thing. 
    What I did was always give my DW something additional to wear. Fortunately we had a smart thermostat which DW could no longer operate. So after giving her more clothes I would tell her I was turning up the thermostat and made motions on my smartphone (which I did use to adjust the heat) like I was upping the heat, and that seemed to satisfy her (for a while). 
  • JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 167
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes
    Thanks everyone for your great suggestions and support. Been looking for the thermal pants but no where to be found in nearby stores so will have to go online! Had to cut shopping trip short to help DH with some family business stuff. He cannot process a lot and keeps asking same questions of family members so I’m the buffer. A bit off topic here but thanks for your help.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Will he drink hot coffee or tea and warm himself from the inside out and also wear a stocking cap? Since my husband moved into memory care he never complains about being cold and no longer wants to put on multiple layers of clothes.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My wife always wanted it warmer too. But with enough clothes, and a reasonable thermostat setting, she didn't complain. Reading the above posts, I guess I was lucky.

MaryG, I don't think you're off base at all. That's something to consider.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I can relate to this. I have been turning the thermostat down and regulating the heat. I had some pretty gruesome bills last winter. Some nights it gets turned up to 80 degrees which is beyond the pale. If he turns it up really high, I shut off the furnace to reset. I have brought the bills down by this. I will suggest buying your husband a shirt that has a soft fluffy inside, he loves those, sleeps in them etc. I often find them in women’s clothing because manufacturers think men don’t like that sort of thing. He now wears multiple layers and he is happy. He also pees the bed regularly so I have bought all these fluffy blankets and they wash beautifully. Good luck, I feel your heat erm pain.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Their sensations of cold are quite real, likely mutlifactorial.  The electric throws worked really well for us.  Also glove and boot heating packs (available at camping and hunting stores) and battery-powered socks, in the days when she was outside more than she is now.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Google thermal underwear tough it may be too hard to get on. We always wore silk when skiing. That might be an anwer.
  • HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Our horse vet was talking about having a heated jacket or vest.  You charge them with a USB, like a cell phone.  They're sort of expensive but you could probably save at least as much on your heating bill if he's not turning the heat up every hour.

The smartphone thermostat is brilliant.  Maybe our auto thermostat will die this year and I can replace it with one she can't adjust!

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    As for a smart thermostat. Don't get a Nest. On the nest you can just turn the outer housing to change the heat. I got an Ecobee. The wall unit isn't so easy to adjust, but the phone app is really easy. I bought it for other features I like, it allows unlimited schedule periods for example and has simple remote sensors. But the benefit of a wall unit being too complicated for a PWD was just an added bonus, not something anyone but us on this forum would appreciate

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more