Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Shocked out of ambiguous denial perhaps

Stunned. I'm just... stunned. I guess this is how it goes. He's more declined than I realized. Wish I could call someone. But it's probably just as well it's the middle of the night. I doubt I'm coherent; need time to sort out what happened tonight. Helps just knowing you're here. Thanks....

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thinking of you
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    tell us when you can--be sure you yourself are safe.  Always hard when this happens.....you are providing scaffolding that is keeping him afloat/upright/whatever the metaphor.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Hugs to you Storycrafter (())
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Storycraft I would say call but I get up around 3 to put wood in the stove. We are here for you.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    It sounds like you're having a really hard time. I'm sorry, but remember that we're here to prop you up when you're about to fall. Let us know what's going on. We care, and we "get it"!
  • Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 472
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I learn from each and every one of you. Thank you

for your brave posts . Stunned is a word I’ve used a lot 
    when discussing what I am going through. I pray  
    for your continued strength .
  • riajean
    riajean Member Posts: 98
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Dear friend.  Writing you as a spouse with a husband now in the end stages, bedbound.  I, too, was shocked to learn my husband was more declined than I thought when I placed him (went through hell making that decision - thought I'd die from guilt) August, 2021. He was apparently hiding the worst of it or I was ignoring it, but knew in my heart I couldn't help him at home any longer.

He seemed to decline dramatically within months of placing him, then in September, the facility had a Covid issue and he was the last to catch it, killing forever his ability to walk. He'd also lost 30 lbs in ONE month that seemed to go unnoticed by the MC staff to my shock and horror.  Now after not being able to deal with PT that was recommended to see if he could regain any strength, he's bedbound and I've learned only recently that his diet is mostly soft foods due to difficulty swallowing.

My biggest fear is that I won't be there when he does die, so everytime I say goodbye after visiting, I look at him as though this is the last time.  Don't know what else to do.  It's been over 8 years since diagnosis of MCI and I've watched it all, done everything I could and am still an emotional mess.  I'm so sorry you're on this board with all of us, yet happy you've found this vehicle to vent.  Please vent all you want as we all know all too well this story and you should feel as though you have friends - standing by your side.

Please also look into palliative care and/or hospice as you CAN call them 24/7 and someone calls back.  It's wonderful to have these people to turn to.   They've been such a comfort.  Thinking of you, sending support in any way I can. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more