Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Wills

We went to the lawyer's office and signed our wills today, along with various Powers.  This was supposed to make me feel better, having all that financial and related stuff resolved for now.  I wish I felt more settled.  Taking care of business doesn't improve Hubs' mental functioning.  Just feeling down right now. I just hope we are not heading for disaster.  Sigh, moan.

Comments

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Janco, as the road you are on gets steeper, it's one less thing to worry about.  Rick
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I will second what Rick  said,it's later on that the powers make your life much easier. One thing I didn't know was my bank didn't want to honor it and said it needed to be recorded at the registry of deeds, I didn't know that, but in Tennessee where I am that was the case. Also when I went to put the  house deed in my name they wanted a copy of that registry form. I don't know if that applies to you but you might want to check. I hope haven't added any burden to you, but it caught me off guard. Getting that done really is a major hurtle and your doing great. Pat yourself on the back.

Stewart 

• Katie Roo
    Katie Roo Member Posts: 30
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    Our attorney said that sometimes the institutions do not honor the power of attorney document.  He suggested that we take our POA to our bank, introduce her to the people there and explain that she does have our POA.  The bank may want to go ahead and add her to the account - but that's based on the individual bank.  We are signing ours this week, and it will be registered with the register of deeds and/or clerk of court.  While we do not need it yet, we feel better knowing that those important documents are in place.  It is so hard to think about the various scenarios that may occur so we have a primary POA, secondary POA for both financial and healthcare.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more