Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Way off topic - Hachi - a dog's tale

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I watched TV more tonight than I have in years, unless there was a ball game on. I watched the movie on Netflix "Hachi - a dog's tale". It is about a dog whose master died suddenly. The dog waited for his master to get off the train, like he did every day when the master would go to work. The dog waited for him to get off that train for almost 10 years. The movie was based on an amazing true story. Here's a link to the story if you might be interested. https://allthatsinteresting.com/hachiko-dog  

Fair warning - I'm still grieving, and I cried like a baby watching the movie.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I saw that movie last year, it sure tugged at the heart strings for sure, I it was back up on Netflix again good movie.
  • RobertsBrown
    RobertsBrown Member Posts: 143
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

That is a life changing story.

On the one and only time my wife and I traveled to Japan we asked our hosts to take us to Hachi's grave.  It's in a very large and ancient cemetery in Tokyo.  As is the Japanese way, our entire group had to go, and I was a little embarrassed that I had instigated this side trip, especially since we had to go on foot in the cemetery and it was a bit of a hike.

It was so very worth it.

I have a shop full of Japanese CNC machines, and have been working with them as a client since 1987.  I place a very high value on loyalty, as do most of us that end up on this site.

I never saw Hachi as a loyal pet.  I see him as a role model, or maybe a pure expression of what heart really means.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

It is such a heart tugging story.  Yesterday, the local news did a story on the overcrowded pound.  Too many dogs, not enough room. 

Then they showed the sweet, sweet hopeful little faces looking through the bars of thc cages. Tears.  A myriad of white plastic cages filled; they are overwhelmed.  It was also shocking to see a myriad of stacked metal cages with rust around the frames and doors.  Oh; those faces and tails that wagged and the earnest look of hope that someone was coming to be with them, to talk to them, perhaps to touch them.  

So wish people would take rescues.  Our son and DIL (vet tech) have had four rescues at one time; two died this year (age) and they recently took another rescue.   They are  loving and sweet contented dogs. Oregon son has a larger rescue dog and that fellow is also a very loving and dear dog whose favorite treasure is a small blue ball and he loves to give love.  They all have dear personalities and are bonded to their new forever homes. 

If any of you or other family members are thinking of a dog for a pet, please, please do think of adopting a rescue.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney