Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Different Ways That Dementia Presents article

I saw an article or YouTube about the different ways that dementia can present - memory loss, personality changes, executive function loss based on the type of dementia.  I'm not sure if it was Teepa Snow or Dr. Natali with Dementia Careblazers (or some other source).  Do any of you happen to know of this or a similar article?  

DH has some "minor" memory issues and "minor" executive function changes, but significant personality change issues.  He doesn't have a diagnosis of dementia or even MCI, and I would like to be able to talk to my step-son who lives out of town about what is going on and give him some references because all he sees is his dad being super nasty with him.  Our young adult children who all live nearby have seen and recognize the changes because they deal with him almost every day so while it is no easier for them, they manage to grit their teeth and show DH a little grace.  They also were here in town dealing almost daily with MIL w AD as teenagers before she passed away so have a somewhat better understanding that dementia isn't just a "bad memory."

Comments

• FriendinCalifornia
    FriendinCalifornia Member Posts: 10
    Second Anniversary First Comment

Was this the video you were thinking of?

https://youtu.be/TimBaM3dBqI

It's Tam Cummings' presentation on the 9 most common forms of dementia. She goes over the differences between Alzheimer's, FTD, Vascular Dementia, etc. and how they usually present and when.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Chammer what you are dealing with sounds like the same type of thing I’m dealing with.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Me too, in my DH case, probable chronic traumatic encephalopathy.  I’m sorry for your difficulties.  I think sharing as much info as possible is a good idea.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes

The Wisconsin Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center has many YouTube videos in their Dementia Matters series.  Here is one example that focuses on behavioral issues. https://youtu.be/kHr9YzBBgf8

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more