Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Stage 8(2)

Hello all.

This morning between 2-4 my husband passed peacefully in his sleep.  I would talk with him whenever I went into his room.  He seemed to know I was there because he looked at me when I said his name.  It's a relief, but I know the sadness and tears will come.  

My favorite memory of this past week was from Sunday when he could still vocalize some.  I told him that I loved him, and he said, "I love you too."  It was a bit garbled, but I could tell what he was saying.   He then threw me two kisses.  I know he was there in that moment, and I will carry that with me to help me make it through.

Funeral arrangements to be made this afternoon.  

Whatever stage you are in, please make memories and if it is trying one day, find one good thing that happened to hang on to so you can make it to the next day.

Comments

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Judi, I'm so sorry. You've been an awesome wife and caregiver. What a blessing to have that memory of his words and kisses! May the Lord bless you and your family.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Judi, I'm so sorry for your loss. This is something we can never get ready for. You can hold your head high for the job you've done. I know this is something that you will find hurtful for a long time, but you will make it just like the rest of us. Please check in from time to  time to let us know how you are doing. Prayers for the coming days.
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Judi, very sorry for your loss.
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Judi,

I am so sorry.  Thank you for the beautiful message.  Bless you and your family.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Judi my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. His kisses and words of love will be memories you can carry for a very long time. I pray for peace and comfort for you and your family during these difficult days. 

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

My sincere condolences to you and all who loved him.

Your words about memories are so true.  I’ve begun to write them down to hold to on the challenging days.  May your own bring you peace in the coming days.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

So sorry for your loss. He certainly got great care from you. You survived his final days and I’m sure he is thankful for you. He loved you to the end and said so. That is truly a blessing that not every one hears. 

I hope you can begin to find time for yourself. 

It’s hard to loose a loved one at this time of year. My heart goes out to you. 

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Judi, my deepest sympathies to you and your family. You kept him in his home with you and did everything that you could do to help him feel loved and secure through this awful journey. You have proof of that when he told you he loved you in his last days. He may not have remembered many things but he knew that. I believe that the one thing that never ceases to exist is love. It may change, but it transcends death. 
    I have so much admiration for your strength, caring and perseverance. 
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    I’m so glad you have that sweet memory Judi57.  I know more will come as time passes.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Judi I am so sorry for your loss, thank you for your sharing, and your words to us about trying to make memories is so true. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Stewart

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Heartfelt condolences to you, Judi.   I’m so glad for you that you had that sweet moment, and hope it helps sustain you as you deal with Stage 8.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Judi, I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear husband.  What a lovely memory to cherish though.  Sending prayers and hugs.

Brenda

• clndaniels
    clndaniels Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    Judi, comfort in this time. Hold the good memories!
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 444
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Judi, my deepest condolences. May you find peace in your memories.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    My sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. May you find some peace in the days ahead.
  • Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sorry for your loss. That is a great memory .

Dave

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Judy, I'd like to add my condolences on the loss of your husband. Thank you for sharing that beautiful memory. I'm sure he'll be missed, but he's now at peace. May you find peace in the days ahead, as well.
  • Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Judi     I am so sorry for your loss and for the heartache that is to come. You can be proud in the care and love that you gave him, and he knew it and he meant it when he said “I love you too” write those words down and paste them on the mirror in the bathroom, and as you struggle with the days ahead without him, just know that you made his ending days, happy days. Let the love that he had for you, and you had for him carry you through in the days ahead as you start a new journey in life without him. God's blessings to you, may he be with you always. Richard

• Judi57
    Judi57 Member Posts: 61
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Thank you for all the condolences I have received so far, and any that may still be posted.  They are much appreciated.  

It's going to take a long time, but every night I have been writing him a small note in my journal to tell him what I did today.  It helps, but it will still take a long time to not cry when I go by his room and see an empty bed.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more