Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What’s in that Emergency Clean-up Kit, again?

Preface is that I am recuperating from a pre-Christmas gift of respiratory virus bequeathed me by our lovely great-grands who are school age and for whom I provide school transport while mom recovers from a broken driving leg.  Thank you, darlings, Nana loves you very much, too.

Second is that Pop-pop now has said virus as well, but, thankfully not as severe.  And, this is where the trouble begins.  

I noticed during the day that Himself seemed a mite unsteady on his feet, was mumbling, and just generally off, but still functioning within parameters that seemed ok.  I was still weak and unsteady myself so just tucked the info into the back of my brain to keep watch on him and we proceeded with our day.  He looked after me in a fashion….he is not a natural nor experienced caregiver….so, it wasn’t out of lack of caring about me…it was lack of any learned know-how.  My grand…with the broken leg…made sure I stayed hydrated and medicated at the worse of the virus.

Anyway….back to the point.  Bedtime, we tuck in and off to slumber we go.  In the wee hours I am sort of startled awake not so much by sounds….because my ears are also affected by this virus…but, by vibrations that don’t appear to be coming from IN the bed so much as next to the bed.  I thought the dog had hopped down and now wanted back up, so rolled over to ask Mr. to pick her short legged little self up for me, and he wasn’t there.  He gets up a lot in the night to use the toilet, so I swiveled my head that direction and no hubby, but there are still the odd vibrations on the bed.  I peek over his edge of the bed to find him sort of crab crawling around and realize he can’t get up. 

I know I need to not panic cuz he will pick up on that and get panicked as well.  I go to his side of the bed and ask if he would like some help.  He mumbles something I take as agreeable and try to coach movement that I soon realize he can’t follow either through understanding or ability.  I think try to physically help him and quickly realize I have neither strength nor leverage to do anything.  Keeping my voice light I tell him I am too weak and going to need to Call EMS for Lift Assistance.  He doesn’t fight it.  He apologizes.  I cover him with a blanket and make the call.  2 nice, strong, polite, respectful young ladies come and have us sorted in short order.  He agrees to vitals and we discover he has a fever of 101.5.  He says he feels fine and no he doesn’t want to take a ride.  All other vitals are ok, nothing, broken, bruised or bleeding so they agree it is not an emergency, but that he does need to take a fever reducer.Can do.  They leave.  We sleep.

Next morning he is def off….so, I give him more meds, help him get dressed…which is first time thing…and he gets settled in his chair.  Sleeps most of the day.  Doesn’t complain about anything.  Takes his meds.  Eats dinner, etc.

That night we have our first toilet emergency.  I won’t detail that.  I won’t try to figure out why some of it was where it was.  Get what remains of his clothes off and get him into the shower while I begin the clean-up process….gloves, paper towels, spray cleaner, plastic bag for the stuuf and for the clothes till I can get them downstairs to the basement laundry (which was a great idea when I was 30, but not so much at 72).  He does a great job of cleaning himself, is co-operative, gets assist with fresh clothes and decides it’s time for bed.  We sleep great.

He is still mildly feverish this morning, but in good spirit, moving as well as he can for where he’s at right now and still co-operative.  He dressed, made coffee, fed the dogs, and was napping in his chair when I got up.  Basic morning routine.

I really believe all of this change is predicated on his having come down with this virus.  It makes sense to me because experience with him has been that emotional stress throws him off and aggravates certain behaviors.  Seems appropriate that a health related stessor would have side effects as well.  We will see what happens as he feels better.  Might be a one-off or could be a new stage and a new set of skills I learn.

I know this was long, and thank you if you read it all. 

But…back to that clean-up kit….I think I remember reading you guys mention shave cream….but, I don’t remember why.

What are your experience proven go-to’s to make the whole issue a mite easier to cope with.

Thank you.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

The shaving cream is for fecal matter, especially if dry. Shaving cream softens it, making it easier to clean up. I found a walk in shower to be almost a necessary. A bidet may also help.

If he doesn't get rid of that fever pretty soon, it may be time for a visit to see the doc.

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Ed…thank you that makes sense.  On the list for next trip out.

I can use it on him as well as surfaces as long as he has no allergic reaction to it…though it might be kind cold,

Walk in shower was installed a few years before dementia came to live with us.  A lifetime in the construction industry has left him with bad knees and a wonky back.  Made sense to do it when we remodeled the bathroom.  It has a seat, non-skid floors, and grab bars.  All good for where he is physically right now.

The bidet sounds interesting…I will take a look at those.  Warm water requires electrical run, but I kinda shudder to think how cold our water can get in the winter.  He might not like the whole polar express experience.

The fever broke this afternoon.  I was concerned about that, too

Thank you for your reply.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    LostinPodunk wrote:

Warm water requires electrical run

Not necessarily. You can get mixing valves that hook up to both the hot and cold water so you can furnish warm water to the bidet. You might need a plumber for this, or a good handyman. You need to cut into both cold and hot water lines.

Ours is heated by electricity, and we had to extend an outlet to reach close to the toilet so the cord would reach. The way we did it was to install a run on the exterior wall, something like this. Wiremold: How to Install Metal Raceway We only added another outlet, not everything they show in the video. There are many videos on youtube showing how to install wiremold. The only reason we used this is because we're on a slab, so access to the inside of the wall was not a reasonable option.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 444
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    LostinPodunk, the fever was probably from the respiratory virus but don’t forget about the possibility of a UTI.
  • Josie in Podunk

Thank you, Ed.  That’s good information.

This particular toilet sits right over the hot water heater in the basement.  My future son-in-law’s stepdad is an awesome plumber that we’ve used before and I bet he could handle a warm water install easily.

• Josie in Podunk

Thank you, Pat.  I am already on watch.  His mother’s dementia behaviors became bizarre quickly when she had a UTI.

Since the fever has broken, his demeanor has returned to almost normal levels,

But, I promise I will continue to keep watch.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more