Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Somebody was asking how secure our posts are to outsiders

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
I just did a Google search for "sex" on this site only. It turned up 571 results. This is the query I used - site:alzconnected.org "sex". Then I did a search for "Ed". I got 879 results. My query was - site:alzconnected.org "Ed". If I searched for "Ed1937" I got 604 hits. So it seems pretty easy for people to find something if they know how to use the query to use on Google. I also got 318 hits looking for "politics".

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

It’s a public forum.  People lurk here and only have to sign in if they want to post something or if they  want to look at a person’s profile.  I stumbled across it one day researching Alzheimer’s on the internet.  

It’s not a good idea to use your actual name as your member name. 

• Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    When I google searched Larrytherunner, I got about 30 of my Alzconnected posts. When I searched montelukast Alzheimers, I also came up with some of my posts, since montelukast is a subject I frequently post about.  Posts are definitely open to google searches.
  • Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

It’s all public and nothing is safe.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Huh, and here I was thinking these forums were harder to get to because I make a few clicks to get here. Hadn't given it much thought, but realize I've been operating under the illusion it took more effort to get in here, a couple extra clicks, so maybe people were more serious about it. I eroneously felt less exposed. Though nothing has changed except my thoughts and the story I tell myself, now I'm feeling more cautious. A reality check.
  • Ci2Ci
    Ci2Ci Member Posts: 111
    100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Likes
    The site does not restrict forum content through robots.txt file. So, no attempt there to disallow web bots from searching/indexing the site. =Public.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more