Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Despite the grief....

I have found a few things....

1.  I haven't done a load of laundry since Tuesday.

2.  I have less dishes to wash.

3.  I discovered that there were other shows besides Gunsmoke, MASH, and A-Team.

I'm not making light of my or anyone's grief for it is very real, it was just thoughts that ran through my mind.

Judi

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 749
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I read an article quite recently about the emotion people do not acknowledge while grieving: relief. The author's parent had been having health problems for a long time before dying and the caregiving stage was difficult for all involved.

I'm glad you have some solid upsides despite the clear loss.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Understand completely your not making light but observing things that are different. I sometimes make light of very emotional situations, sometimes even laugh even. But that doesn't mean I'm nonchalant about anything. Just a defense mechanism. 

Honestly, I hope to be making the same observations someday and I hope that doesn't sound like I don't care.  Just been a long haul so far and some days wish this "journey" was nearing it's end. Whatever the end means. 

We know you have loved, supported and were a caregiver for a long time to your LO.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    The grief of a caregiver  for a spouse with a long decline before death is different than that of a person  who loses their spouse unexpectedly.  You’ve been grieving for a long time, while also being  mentally, physically, and emotionally worn to a frazzle.  An unexpected death is at the beginning while  you are towards the end of the grieving process.   It’s okay to recognize that things are different and that there is some relief to the end of stage 7 and the beginning of stage 8.  That doesn’t erase however long you and your spouse were a couple
  • Janco
    Janco Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments
    Judi, I am fairly new to the Board, but please allow me to offer my condolences.  From others' comments, you were an incredibly loving and capable caretaker for your late husband.  His memory (especially of earlier days) will be an eternal blessing for you.
  • Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 472
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sorry for your loss; grief and relief will be

your new normal for awhile I would imagine.

Hope you are able to rest. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm with Jgirl. At least that's the way it is for me. The day after tomorrow will be 6 months since I lost my wife. Life is very different now, but the grief comes in waves. My wife died unexpectedly, not from dementia. She was probably stage 6.
  • Belldream
    Belldream Member Posts: 42
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Judi, my deepest sympathies go out to you. I can only imagine the combination of feelings you are experiencing right now. I do know that inevitably my day will come as well. Thank you for the reminder of life's little treasures. In the grand scheme of things, those are the only memories that matter. May you find peace.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    sandwichone123 wrote:

I read an article quite recently about the emotion people do not acknowledge while grieving: relief. 

I agree, but prefer to label that emotion “release”.  Your life has changed drastically.  You are no longer obligated to attend to certain tasks and are free to do things that please and complete you.  Any way you look at it, it’s a significant shift in your lifestyle, for better or for worse.  It doesn’t change the way you loved and cared for your DH; that remains a constant.  I wish you peace going forward.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more