Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Looking for Home Services Advice

DW transitioned to a MCF on December 5. Regrettably, it did not go well. There were issues regarding supervision and attention to her needs. There was an incident involving another resident that troubled me greatly. I will leave it at that except to add that I brought her home out of concern for her safety after learning of it. 

She has been home with me in our apartment since December 10. Looking after her has been a huge challenge. In addition to her normal daily needs, she contracted Covid and brought it home with her. She is late Stage 6, perhaps early Stage 7. She is very unsteady, cannot walk, get up, or sit without assistance. I hand feed her all her meals. Showering, dressing, toileting are all difficult and stressful tasks for both of us. That being said, I am considering bringing additional caregivers into the apartment and keeping her with me until she needs nursing care, which is available to us as residents of our continuing care community when we need it. I already have one caregiver for two hours midday each weekday and can secure additional help from 8 am until 10 pm seven days a week.

My question is this: For those of you who have or had long-term in-home caregivers, how did you use them? I am interested in any practices that worked or that failed. How did you set up the physical arrangement? Did you move your LO into a separate bedroom? What sort of support equipment did you use, e.g. bedside toilets, shower chairs, lift chairs, whatever? More important, specifically what did the caregiver do and what did/do you do either for your LO or as housekeeping tasks? Were you comfortable with another person in your home caring for your LO? Were they reliable?

Any and all responses will be appreciated.  

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I am so sorry, and I have no personal experience to offer--but I wonder about a Hospice evaluation?  They may be able to provide extra help and servcies.  Doesn't hurt to ask, and you don't need a doctor's referral, you can call youself.  If they say it's too soon, so be it, but from what you're describing it may not be too soon at all.  I'm sure others will chime in.  Good luck to you, this is extremely hard.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I agree with M1. Hospice was my first thought when I read your post. If it were me, I'd try that first as they will offer some help and equipment. When I called for an evaluation for DH, they did it the next day and services started the day after that. It may not be that fast during the holidays, but again, it's worth a try. Sorry it's gotten to this point, that MC didn't work, and that this is all so hard. Blessings to you both.
  • Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    My DH is at home and in hospice care.  I would definitely contact them.  When we signed my husband up for hospice, the person interviewing us indicated that most people wait too long before they sign up.  She told me that they were able to provide any medical equipment I would need.  A nurse comes out weekly to visit and if needed we can have a CNA come out for bathing, etc. What I truly appreciate is that they are available 24/7.  They are very responsive to my calls and try very hard to accomodate my needs.
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I just wrote sharing some of my experience, but the message suddenly disappeared (so frustrating!). Don't have any more time right now, but others will soon add theirs.

First thing I did was get personal recommendations for the best homecare companies, from the social worker and member services director at the independent retirement community where my father lived alone. I engaged two companies because one could not cover all the hours needed. The companies knew each other and were fine with it; evidently this is a common thing. Eventually we also had hospice assistance. It all worked well.

I will write more later if other people haven't already covered it when I come back.

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I have had a resident care person for my DW for the last year.  My DW is now in early stage 7 and receiving palliative care.  

With regard to functions, the housekeeper/caregiver started as about only 90% housekeeping so I  could concentrate on my DW.  She also does some outside chores as she likes flowers, gardening, etc.  Now she does about 30% caregiving, as my DW needs have risen she has assumed more caregiving.  I do our laundry and cook about 70% of the time.   She is quite good with my DW and efficient at the housekeeping.  I do not do any vacuuming, dusting, etc.   I handle the meds and change the depends.

I would say for us it is working out well.  Though I have been at the top of the MC waiting list as a plan B.  I do not expect to ever send my DW to MC.  Good luck on you finding a solution that works for you.  Rick

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more