Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another question about women and toilet paper non-use

Hi all,

In a previous question I noted that my DW was no longer using toilet paper after urination and I asked how much to be concerned about this. (I know this because she frequently does not remember to flush.) The consensus was that it was not a big problem but that I should make sure that she changed her underwear every day.

Lately I have noticed that she also occasionally does not use toilet paper when pooping. The frequency of this is harder to tell because she tends to flush more when she poops. I check her underwear each time she changes it and haven't yet seen any more than a small racing stripe.  So, same question about this.  She is at a stage where she will absolutely not let me help with anything toilet related. Trust me on that. We have a bidet toilet seat which I have occasionally tried to get her to use over her 6 years since diagnosis, but that was always a non starter.

She has not had any UTI's. She has (and has always had) little internal sense of hunger or thirst, and the preventative step re UTI's of getting her to drink lots of liquids is extremely difficult. Other than monitoring her for UTI symptoms, I don't know if there is anything else I should be doing at this point. 

Any suggestions/opinions will be much appreciated.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Tony my dw, often puts her tp in the waste basket, is thst a possibility?. I show her the toilet paper everytime she goes, but for some strange reason she sees the paper towel dispenser and uses them instead. Her hands are not always clean after a bm and when she dries her hands I notice the racing stripes on the paper towels and I suggest she wash them again.

Stewart 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

The time will probably come when you have no choice but to help her in the bathroom. When that happens, get ready for a fight. Just be as kind as possible, and look at things from her point of view. Be empathetic, and tell her you're sorry it's so hard for her, but there is no choice in having your help. Always try to calm her, and tell her you'll work together on the problem. If you get upset, and start bossing her around, she will quickly respond in a way that will not be good for either of you. And it will probably escalate.

It sounds like she is probably forgetting what TP is for, and she will eventually have sores or blisters and UTIs. Eventually she will need to be cleaned, and that is always a problem. I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more