Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Six years and 1 month...

My DW has finally stopped asking where Mon is and asking to go home.  She has fragmented sleep, an hour or two here and then awake and then another hour or two.   She will wander slightly but only from one room to the next.  If there is a distraction she will sit and then doze off after 4-5 minutes.  

She used to eat sandwiches in layers, from the top to the bottom.  Then we went to cut into bite sized pieces.  Eating has gone from anything you put in front of her now a very slow process, at least 30 minutes for a sandwich.  Quantities consumed has also have greatly reduced.  I give her her Seroquel pills crushed in pudding mixed with cool whip.  She had done that pretty well with a spoon but now it's with her fingers until I pick up the spoon to feed her.  At night when she wakes up if I don't hear the bed alarm, she will wander to another room and then sit down and go to sleep.  (I have profound hearing loss so I miss the alarm sometimes.)  

There has been fast progress in the last 3 months.  She became bowel incontinent in September.  Now every week is another loss. I was figuring then that I had another year or so.

Her daughter came from London to visit for Christmas, my DW was quite friendly but had no idea who she was.  When she left 3 days ago, my DW did not even notice.   

As is usual with this disease as soon and you master one loss another shows up,  I had finally figured out how to change her Depends quickly and without much drama.  Now I suspect the "dreaded freedom" will soon be here.  Rick

P.S. 

Diagnosed in November of 2016 with Vascular Dementia and later they added Alzheimers.  

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Rick, This is indeed a long challenging journey but you have are obviously provided great care for your wife. It is so difficult watching one loss after another. It was nice that her daughter was able to visit even if she did not acknowledge their relationship.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Rick, I know each loss is painful. I'm sorry. The fact that her daughter came to see her should be considered a big plus, even if she wasn't sure who she was. She probably felt some kind of connection.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Rick I am sorry for each new step your having to adjust to. And hearing loss makes your job harder. I think your doing a fantastic job, I am not as old as you but I can't imagine going thru this 10 years from now.  

Stewart

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Rick I’m sorry to hear about your dw. Some days it seems like progression just comes too fast. I guess we just kinda get used to one stage and wham they have jumped right into the middle of the next one and have one foot going into the next. Guess that doesn’t make a lot of sense but that’s the way I’m seeing it. 

My prayers are with you and your wife! 

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sorry to hear. Very difficult. My DW has been progressing steadily over the last years. Sounds like there will come a time when things speed up very rapidly. Hang in there. I know you love your DW and it's hard as hell. 

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Rick4407 wrote:

(I have profound hearing loss so I miss the alarm sometimes.)  

I had a vibrating alarm clock that I placed under mu pillow to be absolutely sure I would wake up.  It worked great!  But I lost it on one of my trips.  Perhaps you could search for one.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney