Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

So you're concerned about your memory?

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I've noticed some memory problems, and after I watched this, I feel a little better.

This video is by Lisa Genova, author of "I'm Still Alice", and she is also a neuroscientist.. She talks about normal forgetfulness, and she explains it. https://www.npr.org/2022/12/23/1144482194/alzheimers-memory-and-how-to-keep-our-brains-healthy-as-we-age  

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Ed; thank you very much for this excellent link, it is probably the best information re memory that I have ever seen.  I will be sending the link on to others. 

Also Ed, being this is the first Christmas without your beloved wife and a very heartfelt poignant day,  I am sending wishes that especially on this day, that blessings will find you. 

Once again, thank you very much,

J.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 530
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Many thanks for this link.  It is fascinating and helpful.  Hope your holiday brings with it some brightness.
  • Judi57
    Judi57 Member Posts: 61
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Good video explaining about memory.  I must admit at times I often thought I was loosing my memory.  Thanks for sharing.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm glad you are all finding it helpful. I thought it was too.

Jo, I am blessed. I've heard from most of the kids today, and one daughter came over to fix dinner for us. Yes, I'd like to go back 10 - 15 years, but I guess we all would. Life had meaning.

• Dutiful One
    Dutiful One Member Posts: 46
    Legacy Membership 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ed, Thanks for sharing this link. The information in the video was a helpful relief. I appreciated her explanations for common memory lapses. I've noticed that my own recall is much better when I have sufficient sleep, low stress, and more physical activity. I'm on day three of a four-day-off stretch, and can see firsthand how rest and lowered stress does help!
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you Mr Ed for sharing this. I too have been wondering about myself! I can remember all the things I need to do and when for my dh but simply little things like where did I put my phone is frustrating at times! This video was a relief to watch!!! 

I hope you had a peaceful day! We can never thank you enough for what you do to help so many of us!  

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    The link is on my reading list for this week.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I hope to view this in a few days when we get back from vacation. 

I have noticed the typical inattentive mistakes on my own part.  However I’m actually more concerned about the fact that I seem to notice larger issues in a couple of family members. It makes me wonder if there is actually an issue or if I am seeing ( imagining) issues in others because I’m over sensitive to behaviors now.  

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thank you, Ed.  That was very informative.  Also made feel a whole lot better as to why my memory sometimes feels a bit like Swiss Cheese.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more