Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A disconcerting day

DH has been in memory care since mid August. Thankfully it is in the bldg a 3 min walk from our independent living apartment. He has fallen a few times and today I got the call that he was slumped over in the dining room at breakfast and was non responsive. I have a DNR in place but I allowed them to take him across the street to the ER. He has been to the ER 5 times since July 31st.

5 hrs later they released him back to Memory Care. Of course I was with him the entire time he was in the ER. Blood work indicated no heart attack but he would need a CAT scan to see if he had a TIA or stroke or subdural hematomas. Oddly the CAT was in a mobile unit and not even in the hospital proper and it is freezing outside. ( small hospital )  I told the Dr that I didn't want them to do a CAT scan as I would not be taking further action no matter what the results were.

I went over to memory care an hr later and there DH was ..happily eating his supper and of course had NO memory of the traumatic previous 5 hrs.in the ER. His coloring looked alot better than mine! I felt very dizzy and weak as I can not eat when I am stressed. He is 92 and 1/2 and I am 83. I am relieved he didn't pass away at this time. I thought I would be prepared if and when the end happens but today I realized I definitely am not. 

I am crying as I type this. I have taken care of him for 4 yrs since his brain surgery but his bathroom issues became much worse and I had to put him in MC after he broke his ankle July 31st. Only you caregivers can relate to the emotional ups and downs of this disease. He was diagnosed 6 yrs ago. I don't even know what to pray for anymore. Thank you for reading this.

Comments

• BillieCDD
    BillieCDD Member Posts: 9
    First Comment

My DH has the same symptoms! This happens about once a month. He can barely wake up, keeps sleeping until around mid morning, when he is normal It is terrifying to me. Once I brought him to the ER when he awoke, and they said that I should bring him WHILE he is in the midst of the problem, which does make sense. However, since this has happened several times and I am pretty sure he will snap out of it, I have not brought him again, and if I wanted to, I would have to call 911, since he would be unresponsive and impossible to handle alone.

No one has been able to diagnose this condition. One of the big problems for me is knowing wheteher or not to give him his pills.. blood pressure, etc., and I measure his BP etc. and if the readings are OK I give him the pills. If his pulse is low I do not. One thinkg that helps a little is to get him to drink water.

It is a puzzlement. HANG IN THERE WITH ME.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Elshack I have no words or wisdom, but I will pray. I understand your tears, how my heart breaks for you.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I don't think it's possible to really be ready for the end. I'm sorry it is so darned hard.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

That has to be very frightening for you. I'm glad he has no memory of it, if only you could figure out what is happening. 

Personally I don't think can anyone can be ready. I think in our heads we 'think' we are ready, but our hearts are never ready. Take a deep breath and enjoy your time with him.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney