Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Relieving himself when unsupervised - not on the toilet

My DH has for the past few weeks at his MC, been relieving himself on the bathroom floor, bedroom rug, and twice now has gone #2 on the rug.  He does wear depends.  The caregivers say they ask him every 2 hours to use the bathroom, but he still does this, and the room smells so bad.  They clean the rugs and floor every day, and they will have to replace everything.  Now, they are locking his door when he goes out in the common areas, to keep him from going back in by himself, so they can keep an eye on him, and supervise him when he's in the room, except for when he is asleep.  Has anyone had this experience?  I am bringing up a onesie sleepwear and some overalls, in the hope that he won't be able to take his depends and pants down by himself.  He does not recall doing it of course.  Any ideas?

Comments

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I have no ideas for you, but just wanted to say that it's not that uncommon. DH forgot what a toilet was for, and when he needed to go... he went. At home it was on the floor, in the garbage can, outside, the dog bed - you get the idea. Once he was placed, they found puddles all over the place, despite trying to take him to the toilet. Depends didn't help, because he felt the urge and didn't want to go in his pants, which I understand. It's hard.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sligo177 wrote:
    I am bringing up a onesie sleepwear and some overalls, in the hope that he won't be able to take his depends and pants down by himself.  

I'm sorry this is happening, but he's not the first one to do that. You might try buckandbuck.com. I'm not sure if they have nightwear, but they do have clothing that zips from the back, making it very difficult, if not impossible for them to take the clothing off without help. Check out the site to see what they have to offer. I hope you find a solution.

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Thank you for your responses, I so appreciate your input.  I just ordered something from Buck and Buck.  Fingers crossed!  Also helps to know this is a common thing. 
  • RobertsBrown
    RobertsBrown Member Posts: 143
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

This was us today.  I was not sure I wanted to post about it, but here you are, or we are, in this same boat.

My first clue was poopy fingers.  I saw that and said "you have poop on your fingers, follow me" heading for the sink.  Her reply?  "No I don't.  I wasn't even here."

So there you are.  No clue or memory about the poop that magically appeared in the middle of a bedroom floor just moments before.  She also didn't want a shower because "I don't need one".  She most certainly did need both a shower and a change of clothes.

I truly believe that nobody knows this stuff but us, and there are a lot of us.  It's an unacknowledged fact of life for a huge slice of the population.

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    It's the difficulty of this that binds us together I guess, and I'm glad you shared that.  I keep telling myself, it's not him, it's the disease, and I know you must, too.  Really hard to preserve their dignity when it gets to stages like this.  I put DH in overalls today at MC and he is really angry....but his room was again flooded this morning, and the good folks there are shampooing and disinfecting again.  We do what we have to do.  You hang in there.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    My dw had poop fingers right after going, she had washed her hands and was drying them when I notice poop on the paper. I just asked her to wash her hands since she didn't remember just doing it anyway.
  • Stella Luna
    Stella Luna Member Posts: 50
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Sligo,
    Sometime ago someone in this forum recommended using onesies that button in the back, that way your LO cannot take it off.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more