Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Feeling bad when I yell

The last month I’m worried about my outbursts.  I yell at my DH over something he’s done.  it seems to come from no where but really, I’m probably already tired.  I got upset when he put too much wood on the fire, or let in the muddy dogs inside when we are expecting company.  How bad is this for him?  It’s hurtful, and he acts like he forgets about it—he’s THAT sweet.  ***LoL*** I’ve never taken tranquilizers—do I need one?  Already I exercise , pray and have quiet time because he sleeps till 11.  I don’t feel the need for respite care but on the other hand, he’s the one who needs a break from me  He doesn’t have anyone to share his feelings with when this happens.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    12 step, I'm sorry it's so hard. There are videos available on youtube to help with this. I need to leave shortly, but I'll look to see if I have anything bookmarked that will be helpful.
  • Ed1937
  • Ed1937
    Here is a link to a lot of "Careblazers videos". Look for any that seem relevant. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=careblazers  
  • JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 167
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes
    Very interred and informative videos. tks
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    It’s hard and we get frustrated.  I do a lot of apologizing.  Forgive yourself and try again 12 step hope.  You’ll get more patient with practice.
  • Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

12 step Hope:

My experience is that I need to have respite. I have a person (DIL) come in 4 hours a week and I go somewhere. It could be the library,  fast food parking lot , or a local group meeting or grocery shopping. I can tell you that it make a big difference for me and my ability to deal with my frustrations. I take this time just like a person takes their medicine.  My DW doesn't like it and wants to go with me but I go alone anyway. Usually after I am gone my wife calms down. Suspicion is one of DW personality changes and when I get home she ask me many questions, where did I go? Who did I see? but after a few minutes she will forget about it. Shadowing is another characteristic of the disease so I have nowhere to go in the house. 

Dave  

• 12 Step Hope
    12 Step Hope Member Posts: 11
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment
    thank you!
  • Jarmac
    Jarmac Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    I just finished yelling and it felt good. At some point, my feelings matter, too.
  • Jarmac
    Jarmac Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    I just finished yelling and it felt good. My feelings matter, too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more