Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hes Constantly hungry and I'm exhausted!

My DH just returned after 2 months - he was in the ICU  followed by SNF for rehab to learn to walk again. Unfortunately his mental status took a deep dive and hasn't returned very much. Taking him home is challenging as I'm also now taking care of incontinence, which he's also never had before. He has early onset Alz plus Parkinson's. 

So on top of all of that, he is constantly hungry! I keep him full during the day, but he gets up every 2-3 hours at night and goes wandering. I do leave some snacks out but he of course will eat anything he finds all at once. 

I'm desperate for sleep, and I also work full time at home so I can't just nap during the day. Any advice on how to handle this eating all night issue? I have to get up and check on him since I'm not sure what he'll get into. So then I'll make him something with protein hoping to fill him up but it only lasts a few hours. It's like I have an infant but at the age of 61, I don't have the stamina for this! 

Comments

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Other's I'm sure would have better advice but it would seem to me that you are going to need help in the form of  outside caregivers that can come to your home or adult day care.
    I don't see how you can work full time without sleep. I know how hard that is. When my wife has UTI then I'm up every 30 minutes helping her find the bathroom, all night long and all day for a couple of weeks until we get the UTI cleared up. Her primary did prescribe medication for Fibromyalgia, she does have that, to be taken at night and that does seem to help her sleep at least until 4A.

I sincerely hope you get some help, at least during the day. I've taken my DW to adult day care a few times. She never wants to go but seems to have enjoyed it when I pick her up.
    I don't know if you're husband would be willing to accept outside caregivers or go to day care, always a challenge, but you've got to figure out how to get some rest.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I wish I had ideas for you. The up all night problem here was the end of what I could do on my own at home, and I had to place DH. Like you, I worked full time. It was impossible to get 5-6 hours of interrupted sleep and still function. And it was impossible not to work, because we needed an income. 

There are no easy answers. I'm sorry you're dealing with all this.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Others have mentioned in the past, locking some cabinets and the refrigerator, and allowing access to food at night as you are doing.  I don’t have any better ideas.  I think that you need help to survive this.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    If you're going to hire help, at least hire it for the overnight time (probably will cost a lot more) because you absolutely need to get to sleep.  Also, if he is in your room still you will want to set him up in a separate bedroom so you will not be disturbed by him getting in/out of bed all night.  The caregiver will simply be awake to supervise and make sure he doesn't get into anything.

Without that, I think you're looking at placement.  Was that suggested when he was in rehab?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more