Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

65 years ago today

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Yes, today would be our 65th anniversary. For more than 3 years I planned on asking her to marry me again today. But of course that can't happen. But even if she were still here, there's a reasonable chance she wouldn't know me any longer. So I'll have to focus on what a great person she was, what our love meant, and try to make it through the day.

I like different kinds of music, and there is one country song that tells my feeling for my wife. You don't have to like country to appreciate the lyrics on this one. Here's just a small part of it. 

Cause I’ve got you And you’re the thing that makes me happy You’re everything I thought I’d never find I guess everybody’s got a thing But me - I’ve got it all I’ve got you, and I don’t need a thing at all
But I don't have her anymore.

Comments

• Ed1937

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

As a practical matter DW was 66 when she no longer had any idea who i am.
    We had just "celebrated" our 43rd anniversary 

I share your pain 

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 530
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Don't know what to say.  So very, very sad.  However, love is one of the best things we get to experience in this life and it sounds as if yours was so very meaningful to you both.  It's ok to grieve, but it's also ok to remember what a wonderful thing it was.  A true gift.
  • Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Ed I share your pain and I feel your pain. on our last anniversary of 53 years together she had no clue what it was about, she died 2 weeks latter. I hold those 53 years and 16 days in my heart. She was a great wife, mother, grandmother and Great grandmother, but most of all she was my best friend, my business partner, my lover, and truly my soul mate. No one will ever take her place in m y heart.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Yes, it is rough when we lose our loved one that we have been married to for years. I don't think it matters how many years we were married. It's a heck of a loss, someone we shared with. When times were rough they were there for us. Ever so often I break down and have a good cry.  Yes we miss them and probably always will. There is a big void in our life now. I hope it gets easier for all    If we didn't miss them something would be wrong.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Dear Ed, I'm very sorry. I do hope you will be filled with precious memories today that only the two of you shared. 

I can't imagine losing my spouse to this horrible disease.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed you had reached a milestone not many will make. Remember all the last 64 you had and dwell on the all the good things you shared together.

Stewart

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,322
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi Ed,

Happy Anniversary - you still have all the wonderful memories you and your wife shared in the years you were together.  Holidays, birthdays and anniversaries are hard but without our memories they would be worse.  Get out some pictures and look at them and relive the good times.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear Ed, Happy 65th wedding anniversary.  I hope you can treasure all the wonderful memories you made with your dear wife over the years. She was a special lady who had the love of a special man.

Brenda 

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ed, I'm very sorry. That is so hard. I'm sure she couldn't have been married to anyone better and she would marry you all over again in a single heartbeat.

Our 27th just passed on Dec 4 and my wife never raised an eyebrow or noticed in the slightest.
    She is beginning to forget who I am to her. Many times she forgets we are married. She always seems glad to be married to me when I explain that she's my wife and I'm her husband but on certain days she'll completely forget a few minutes later and I become just a "nice person" to her again.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    It is just plain hard....seemingly forever.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    Dearest Ed, it is true, such a loss cannot be measured; it can only be felt.   The two of you created a strong legacy in all of the many children you have had and the generations of grandchildren that have already entered this life with more to come.  May some of your beloved's light as well as your own be able to be seen in some or all of them.  
    Sending wishes for 2023 to bring a gentler and kinder year as well as peace for you. 
    A soft hug being sent on this, day; the 65th anniversary that should have been in life but is now in your heart . . .

J.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    I’m sorry that you didn’t get to re-propose. I know it’s hard to have not made that 65th anniversary. However  you did get a lifetime of memories, and a bunch of wonderful children to focus on.  I hope 2023 is a good year for you to all be together.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear Ed, 

Thinking of you on your anniversary. You had 64 years, what beautiful memories you must have made. I'd love to hear one of your favorite ones.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I hope, Ed, you are able to revel in your memories of many years together, even as the loss of your DW is ever-present.
    Here’s a quote that seems a propos.  

We need, in love, to practice only this: letting each other go. For holding on comes easily; we do not need to learn it.”

― Rainer Maria Rilke, Translations from the Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 472
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you Ed for continuing to help us on

this journey.”Happy” Anniversary and enjoy 
    the family legacy you and your DW created.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed happy anniversary!  What precious memories you must have. Your wife is a beautiful lady outside and inside. The daughter you have spoke about sounds so much like her mother. Enjoy your family and share stories about their mom today and it will bring her close to you! 

God bless you and your family! 

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

((((Dear Ed))))

Wrap yourself in those beautiful memories, your DW is still with you. Happy Anniversary. Hugs Zetta 

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, I know this is a painful one but still I wish you a Happy Anniversary to honor the incredible life you had together.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed I get asked quite often if I want to marry dw. Of course I do I reply and she always says REALLY. I hold on to those little gems.
  • Ed1937

Thank you very much for the support. What a great forum! 

Josey, there were so many great memories we shared, that it would be difficult to mention one. But I can tell you the things that stand out in my mind about her.

1. Her love of gardening. She worked more than 20 years to make a beautiful garden, then when we sold the property, the new owners let everything go to hell. It was a sin.

2. Her love of cooking. She always put a great meal on the table, and there was always enough for whoever happened to come by. I really miss her cooking.

3. Her chickens. She wanted chickens, so I built a hen house for her, and we ordered 6 hens. One 1 day old "hen" actually became a rooster, and he was her favorite. But he would attack me every time I walked into "their space".

4. Of course her love of helping others through support or nursing skills.

5. And above all, her love for me and our family, and everything she did to make our lives fun.

Yesterday, my daughter came to visit in the morning, and stayed until almost bedtime. She knew the day wouldn't be easy.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Ed, thank you so much for sharing all those memories of your wife. Your love for her comes through. I know I would have loved your wife if I had been lucky enough to meet her. She sounds a lot like me - except I would have never made a good nurse. I used to have chickens, too. I loved most of my chickens. But those roosters could really be mean. 

I'm so happy your daughter spent the day with you.

• Stella Luna
    Stella Luna Member Posts: 50
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Ed,

I am sorry for your immeasurable loss but you are a very lucky man to have had such a wonderful wife and a loving relationship for so may years. Enjoy the memories of happy moments shared and shower you grandchildren with love.

Wishing you a peaceful and healthy 2023.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

In spite of it all, I would marry my husband again in a heartbeat. I had 27 great years with him and it was a fabulous marriage. I don’t regret it for a minute. So Ed, I say you had a great marriage and life with your wife. That is an incredible miracle and wonderful.

I would have liked a longer time with my rapier witty husband but it wasn’t meant to be. I am grateful for what I had.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more