Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sudden onset of urinary incontinence after taking Risperdone

My DH is refusing meds and his psychiatrist suggested switching  from Seroquel to Risperidone gradually so I can dissolve it in his drink. On the second day of taking Risperidone, my DH wet his pants THREE times, the last one at our friend’s house. Needless to say, I am stopping Risperidone immediately! Has this happened to any of you?

I know incontinence is coming since my DH is starting stage 6 and I should be prepared, but the sudden onset threw me off my rocker!

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Stella, I looked up side effects for it. It has increasing urine listed. Probably need to talk to his doctor. https://www.drugs.com/sfx/risperidone-side-effects.html  
  • SC2SUNSHINE
    SC2SUNSHINE Member Posts: 9
    First Comment

My DH had hourly to daily mood swings…goes from happy to frustrated and blaming me for things, ie… not telling him things, to telling him what to do, wanting to hear ALL my phone conversations, and then back to apologetic  in a matter of an hour! These episodes can last from an hour to all day!! I feel like I’m walking on fire most of the time! Needing suggestions on how to handle things when he is attacking me verbally and putting words in my mouth that I didn’t say. He’s been like this just over a year now and slowly getting worse. His Neuro tried Aricept, that made him mean and nasty! Took him off that and trying Razadyne now supposed to up dosage but I’m afraid it will make him mor aggitarws.

Any advice? I try and redirect but that dosent seem to work most times.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    When my husband got gnarly, his family doctor put him on Rispiridone and he ended up drooling and became incontinent. Then je was put on Trazadone and taken off the Rispiridone because he was pacing and wired up. I honestly hope they can find the right medication blend for your husband. I know that is what I need for mine right now.
  • Stella Luna
    Stella Luna Member Posts: 50
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Ed and Buggsroo,

His psychiatrist lowered the dose of Risperidone and DH is doing well, no accidents. I am worried about incontinence when we keep reducing Seroquel and increasing Risperidone. I will just take it one day at a time.

• Stella Luna
    Stella Luna Member Posts: 50
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

SC2Sunshine,

Your DH unusual behavior is the desease, not him.Medications help a great deal with anger, delusions, paranoia etc. Your DH should be evaluated by a geriatric psychiatrist to find a combination of medications that help your DH’s mood swings and anger.

You may want to post your concern as a new topic that way you get feedback from everybody.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more