Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

urine under recliner on carpet

Lgw
Lgw Member Posts: 115
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
Okay I knew if anyone would have the answer you would. Google fell short.  My DH's recliner is on carpet,  After a major bout with Aspiration Pneumonia I have realized that his disposable underwear only holds so much. Didn't realize you could pee that much when you were that dehydrated.  I keep learning way more than I ever wanted to know about adult urinary problems. Anyway, has anyone had any luck with putting something under a recliner that catches the pee and protects the carpet?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I don't have any recommendations for something that would go under a recliner, but are you using high quality incontinence pull ups or diapers? If you're not sure what to use, try parentgiving.com. They have different options that are high quality, and I think the business is really good. If you get on their site, they have a phone number you can call to ask about the best products they have to fit your situation. You can also order samples of their incontinence underwear, whether pull ups or diapers. Ordering samples is really the way to go because what works best for one person might not be best for you. I think samples are $2.99, and they come 2 to a pack. Samples take a little longer to receive, but a regular order is handled very fast. I tried to call them, but they are closed until Tuesday. 

Walmart and Amazon have ultra absorbent pads, according to their sites. I have no experience with them.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 530
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Maybe it's not appropriate, and I would definitely take Ed's suggestion first, but have you considered heavy plastic over the rug but under the recliner?  We have used it to protect carpet under our treadmill.  Just my .02!
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Don't know about the exact size you would need but you could try something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Durable-Black-Plastic-Growing-Without/dp/B000E7MTUI/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3LZMUONIVKLI&keywords=plastic+trays+for+plants&qid=1672612797&sprefix=plastic+trays,aps,112&sr=8-11

It would at least catch it and could be reusable.

Not sure that plastic sheeting would be of much help as the urine could just then drain off on its own.

• Lgw
    Lgw Member Posts: 115
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Gave me a great idea. I never would have thought of a tray.  I'm going tomorrow to Tractor Supply to get a crate tray for a large dog.  Should do the trick and I don't think he will notice and still maintain his dignity.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I thought about that, but I'm pretty sure if you set a recliner on the tray, it will crack. But I've been wrong before.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

When we got to this stage the product that worked the best for me was a waterproof cover that you can buy to keep your couches and chairs clean from wet dogs. You can buy them on Amazon. I had one on the couch and one on the stuffed chair he sat on. Then under that just to be extra careful I would put a chuck. The waterproof material is a little stiff but it works like a charm. 

If you are in this stage it’s better to be safe than sorry. Once per gets into a stuffed chair you can’t get the smell out easily. In my opinion you are in the worst stage. Nothing worse than poop and pee in odd places. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more