Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Questions on respite help

Has anyone used the respite for caregivers thru their supplement insurance? My husband follows me everywhere I go, and I've mentioned to him that someone will come and stay with him a few hours while I take some time to myself. I can tell he's going to throw a fit when I actually leave the house. I'm just wondering how the assistance handles that?

Comments

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    By 'supplement insurance' do you mean Medicare Supplement Insurance?  If so, Medicare does not pay for respite care, nor does Medicare Supplement Insurance.  Unfortunately, respite care is self pay unless you have LTC insurance or qualify for Medicaid (for impoverished patients).
  • terei
    terei Member Posts: 572
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

First of all, quit telling your H someone would be there to stay with him.   Telling him you have hired someone to help YOU with something (chores, etc) will go over a lot better with him.  Other posters here have told LO that you are ‘helping someone out who is having tough financial time’ as a reason for some one being there.

The person you have hired needs to be on board with your ruse, but that shouldn’t be an issue IMO.   Coming up with ‘reasons’ for PWD is an art that gets better with practice.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I had as caregiver who came into our house twice a week for 4 hours each time. We qualified for Medicaid, I was thankful for that.  I went through an agency, Home Instead, they were very helpful they found a man who had the same interest as my DH had. My DH would never have allowed someone to come into the house to take care of him. The first time the man came I stayed home, and we all sat and talked about their interest. After the man left, I could tell my DH really like him. I then told my DH that the doctor wanted me to find someone to come in and stay so I could get out and run errands. This worked great my DH was always happy when his new friend came and So was I.
  • Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 472
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Our advantage plan allows 8 hours a month free

thru Carelynx, but I think you have to book more than 8 hours a month

for it to cover the free 8 hours. I am going to do this when

I need more hours . Right now I self pay 3 hours 2xper month .

My HWD gives me “the look” but I ignore it. I usually bring

home a sweet ice tea when I come home and that helps.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 472
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Also, I’ll add that the woman I hired was referred

to us through my husbands daughter so he think of

her as a family friend. They play checkers and sometimes 

a simple craft and also sit on our balcony and just talk

about his plants.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One