Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Incontinence(7)

Well, we have hit a new low with this disease.............DH is now developing horrid toileting habits.   He is wearing diapers all the time as he wets himself during the day and night.  He pees all over the bathroom floor. Will go in the foyer and pee,  yesterday went on my side of the bed and peed all over the carpet.  Acts like it is no big deal.  This week he has started messing his pants as well.........today he pooped on the bedroom floor and then went into the bathroom like nothing happened.............his go to is I didn't do it..........the other guy did.   I don't get mad at an accident........but this time I got mad.   He says he doesn't know why I get mad about it???  Now that the holidays are over I will be searching for placement........He refuses to use his walker and falls once or twice a week as well........took me over an hour to get him off the floor onto the bed the other night........I guess it's time..........

Comments

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Unfortunately, all AD patients (if they live long enough) will get to the stage that you describe.  It's very difficult for the care giver.  Please understand that he no longer has the ability to care for his personal needs and can't even understand that it's a problem.  By this stage, most patients have the abilities of a toddler.  While we can easily accept this behavior from a toddler, it's hard to accept that adults regress to this point. 

He needs help.  He needs someone to keep their eyes on him pretty much full time.  Regular toileting help by you or someone else is a good start.  Recognize if he has a regular time of day that he poops.  Help him to the toilet and sit him down.  Stay with him while he sits there.

Look up anti-strip clothing on Buck & Buck or Silverts.com to keep him from removing his disposable briefs.  It's also normal to forget that they need to use their walker and is another reason the keep 'eyes on' full time.  Unfortunately, they can't do this in LTC, nor can we at home without help.  Many of us bring in outside help at home before we end up with LTC.  It helps stretch the dollars for as long as possible.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more