Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Apathy question

RCT
RCT Member Posts: 54
Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
Have any of you experienced apathy with your spouse diagnosed with Alzheimer’s?

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    RCT-

I'm not a spouse, but I will say dad's apathy was prominent from the middle stages of the disease. I feel like a big piece of this was that he lacked the working memory to enjoy previous activities or understand novel experiences. We even discussed it with his geriatric psychiatrist in hopes of finding a medication to activate him a bit. We trialed Wellbutrin with little success. 

HB

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Pretty common I think RCT, along with loss of executive function (meaning, losing the ability to initiate, sustain, and complete any task).   And doesn't respond to much.  Sometimes an outside person can help provide structure for a while, but beyond a certain point that doesn't help either.  Hard to watch.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    RCT, 
    If you google “Understanding the Dementia Experience” by Jennifer Ghent Fuller, a 33 page easy to read document that gives a great overview of Alzheimer’s in a nutshell, there is a paragraph on apathy.  I found it very helpful and comforting during the mid stages of DH’s alz. Apathy is common and not something to panic over; it’s a predictable aspect of the disease. 

Sorry, I am still technologically illiterate when it comes to providing a link for this article.  (I’d ask the grandkids, but they’re back in school.)

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thanks, Ed!  One of these days I’ll join the 21st century.  (My grandkids think I’m “rich” because I always have cash- - I don’t have a debit card.)
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

RCT, yes and as M1 said it is sad to watch! My dh used to be very active and loved being outside doing things, making things just always busy! Worked all day and outside we went to do what ever! Now he can sit for hours and just be in la la land! He is late stage 5 mid 6. 

Best of luck to you! 

• Suzzin
    Suzzin Member Posts: 85
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    My mom's "hobby" was managing their finances and checkbooks. For years she had ledgers--months across the top, expenses down. Expenses across the top, months down. She loved playing the stock market with the bits of money they had. She loved balancing the checkbook and making sure everything was in order.  With ALZ and her loss of ability to manage any of that, she has lost her main source of entertainment and fulfillment. When I had to put everything on autopay it was like a part of her gave up. After so many years of this, it's not like I can say "hey, how about word finds". It's so hard, I don't know what would help.
  • RCT
    RCT Member Posts: 54
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thanks all and thanks so much for suggesting the article and getting the link to me….I realize I am expecting too much from him!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more