Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Assisted living with memory care(1)

Hi all, can we discuss the options available to  start preparing for looking for ALwith MC for Early Onset AD person? My wife is 57, the disease is slowly progressing. She's on disability and will get Medicare in April of this year. 

I still work, will be 65 this year, what options are available out there? Any financial help I can get for care givers and/or ALwith MC?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Comments

• Amy Joy
    Amy Joy Member Posts: 90
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Hi feel sad!

Welcome !

Sorry to hear of your wife and all your going through.

I can understand what you are going through.

I’m turning 53 this year and have early onset dementia.

Dementia runs in my family and I was diagnosed at 49.

I’m showing signs of progress in my memory loss and mental decline.

I’m having other health problems and mental problems.

I’m being recommended to plan for a life in assisted living memory care.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi feels sad,

I am sorry about your wife. It is so hard. The best thing you can do is to see an attorney who specializes in elder care. The attorney will need to know what your finances are and about the value of property and how much you will earn in retirement. He will let you know what your options are for paying for care. Also check in your area for Alzheimer’s support groups. There is so much to learn but you will be able to do it.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello and a very warm welcome to you.  I am sorry for what is happening and can certainly understand your concerns.  NOTE:  I would like to invite you to place your Thread on the Spousal Forum.  This particular Forum is not as well traveled.  On the Spousal Forum you will get responses from other spouses who have faced the same challenges you are facing and can share some of their experiential knowledge and wisdom with you.

Hope to see you there on the Spousal and Partner Forum,

J.

• babyface68
    babyface68 Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Anniversary

They can take my house i would like to get it in my daughters name so they want take it away. About to retire in June .I am still working .I have early onset dementia. its vascular dementia .I blame myself for this awful disease .Was not controlling my blood pressure for years .I am going to die young .I am devasted. Now i will not be here to enjoy my life anymore. I did not no i would get silent strokes. And they would cause brain damage.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Baby face, keep working on controlling your blood pressure. Take your meds, eat healthfully and exercise. All of these can help vascular dementia. Check your blood for diabetes.

Consult with an elder attorney for financial management of your assets. You may not need to leave your home, depending upon your family support.

What do you plan to do about your work? Are you old enough for retirement or will you have to go out on disability?

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney