Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Tearful, yet beautiful song.

Garden of Remembrance by Fish

Copy and paste address below into web browser. 

https://g.co/kgs/NWzmkD

It’s a New Year, I can’t say happy while he’s imprisoned in his mind. 

Comments

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You have touched on one of my fears about my DW.  I occasionally fear that my "real" wife is still there in some part of her brain but she is "imprisoned" by the parts of her brain that are failing due to dementia. I see flashes of DW's old self sometimes even though she is either very late stage 6 or early stage 7.  This is a troubling thought for me although I am [almost] certain it really isn't the case.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    I hear you. Alzheimers is haunting. I see my husband clearly still in the way he helps others in memory care when a door needs held opened or a wheelchair pushed. He asks if it’s his coffee before he takes a sip, and wonders where is mine. He struggles to remember details of his past life, but his basic loving caring heart still beats. In the present one thought or happening totally erases the previous.  It’s like he’s trying to catch brightly colored butterflied with a hula hoop. When our children FaceTime with him he’s flabbergasted they found him, asking how’d did you know where I was!?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more