Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Furniture suggestions

Whyzit
Whyzit Member Posts: 156
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
DH enjoys his big man lazy boy chair but it is fabric and now that he is incontinent it is difficult to maintain. The chair has electric controls. The other issue is that he is having difficulty getting out of it. I think it is too low for him. He is 6’4” tall. I would like to get him a new chair that is easily cleaned, fast drying and would go with him to memory care assisted living probably in the near future. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I have a chair that sounds like his. I can see why it would be difficult for some people to get out of. Mine is large, like I suspect his is. If you can find a small recliner with a manual lift, that might be easier for him. My recliner is leather, and cleans easily. But if he is incontinent, I would recommend incontinence pads for it too. There are many different ones available, but I have no experience using them. Others should be able to give you specific recommendations. A recliner would be good for MC in case you want to spend the night sometimes while he is in the bed.
  • Whyzit
    Whyzit Member Posts: 156
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thank you Ed, I hadn’t thought about me sleeping in the chair.  I’ll keep that in mind.
  • Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I bought a lift recliner chair for DH when he began having difficulty getting out of his favorite oversized chair / ottoman combination..  Here is what works well about the new lift chair.   It has a firm seat cushion, back and arms…it is not one of the squishy overstuffed ones.  Its seat is high and is level with his wheelchair seat which makes for easier transfers.  It has strong armrests that go all the way to the front of the chair, so he has something sturdy to push against when he needs to raise up or readjust his position in the chair.  A heated seat, with a timer.  The recliner function so he can change position during the day.  A strong dense fabric that cleans easily.  

What doesn’t work so well.  Having a remote control that he can’t understand.  I had to tuck that away behind the chair because he kept activating the lift and almost tipped himself out of the chair.  And even though I bought it thinking we’d use the lift, right now we really don’t.  Maybe in the future though, who knows.

To keep the chair clean I start with a large, thick, disposable waterproof pad.  The brand is Cardinal Health.  Next comes a washable fleece throw, over the back and seat of the chair and tucked in all around.  On top of that is an XL doggie pad (from Target), over the seat, tucked in.  Finally topped off with a thick bath towel folded in half.  The doggie pad and towel usually take the brunt of any accidents, protecting the fleece and the underpad.  I change the doggie pad and towel at least once a day.  The fleece and underpad usually stay dry longer so probably get changed out every 4 or 5 days.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more