Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

mood enhancing meds- any suggestions or thoughts??

We saw DH's primary care doc today.  He has been having leg edema.  Doc decided to put him on a water pill and told DH that he wanted him to walk 100 steps after every time he went to the bathroom.  His hope is for exercise and better circulation.  I know this sounds good- but I will literally have to tell him that is what doc wants everytime he does go to the bathroom, because he can not remember things like that.  I am so tired of "nagging" - wondering what you all would do?  Also, doc suggested I research mood enhancing supplements and try some.  He is thinking if I can get something to pep DH up that maybe he wont sleep all day.  Has anyone found something like this?  Any suggestions or thoughts??  I love our doc, but trying to navigate what is actually possible to make work.  Thanks!!

Comments

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 444
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I have no idea what your PCP means by mood enhancing supplements so I can’t offer any thoughts on that. But I have to wonder how familiar your PCP is with dementia. Based on what I’ve read on here, certain kinds of water pills result in urgency and this could be a problem if you have to help him to the bathroom or if he moves slowly. And there will also be an increase in frequency. My approach to the nagging is to ask him once or twice and then drop it. Most every day I ask DH if he wants to go for a walk. If he says no, I let him be. If yes, I go for a walk with him. But that’s easier - it’s only once a day! I would start him on the water pill and see how that goes for a couple of days before trying to add on the walks. 

If you figure out what he means by a mood enhancing supplement, one that will cure ALZ apathy, please share. Maybe he means caffeine? (Only half joking!) And the caffeine would make him pee more.  

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    When I read the title I thought you were referring to an antidepressant or antipsychotic.  Mood enhancing supplements?  And what did this doctor suggest?

The truth is that there is no "supplement" that will affect the progression of his disease OR "enhance his mood."

I wouldn't be taking too much dementia treatment advice from this doctor.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    I am seriously side-eyeing your husband's doctor.

He should have referred you to a geriatric psychiatrist not the supplements aisle at Walgreens. Sheesh. I kind of get the feeling he doesn't understand dementia on even a rudimentary level-- apathy and inertia are very common in the mid and later stages.

I would suggest trying to see a geripsych. There are meds that can be trialed to "activate" a PWD into being more engaged during the day. We trialed Wellbutrin which didn't really help dad when he was in the later stages, but it was worth a try. He even gave dad a prescription to "play golf 3 x a week". 

HB

• Berryette
    Berryette Member Posts: 47
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    I believe the thoughts you all had- ran thru my mind during the appointment.  At one point- he said we could put him on Ridlen(sp).  So I believe he is trying to hype him up.  I just dont want to be a negative Nelly and not try everything possible, but I am truly having a hard time believing that is the answer.  Ridlen is the only med he mentioned by name.  I know it is given to people with ADHD- he must have noticed the skepticism on my face and didnt pursue that.  He did tell me to get Quecertin.  I havent had a chance to look it up to see what it is for.  The water pill concerns me as well.  He still goes to the bathroom by himself.  But sometimes I have to tell him to change because he has peed himself and the bathroom is always in need of cleaning.  I bought him some undergarments- but havent been able to talk him into using them yet.  He is a very strong willed man.  It has to be his choice or it wont happen.  Thank you for the suggestions.
  • Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    My DH is very strong willed as well and one day, I just took out all his underwear and replaced them with Dry Direct Ultimate from Parentgiving. These adult undergarments are so soft and and he never noticed the change.  I just call them underwear and he is fine with them.  (He sees me go to his dresser drawer and pull out a pair). I thought we'd have a problem, but it worked like a charm. When he has an accident, they are so absorbent that he has no clue he peed in them.  What I have found, when I anticipate a meltdown, he seems fine.  The flip side? When I think something is going to be easy...watch out.  LOL Such is life in our world, right?
  • Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    PS: Now I wish someone would invent a floor and toilet cleaning robot! We could name him OoopsBot...now that would make all of us happy.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Berryette wrote:
    I believe the thoughts you all had- ran thru my mind during the appointment.  At one point- he said we could put him on Ridlen(sp).  So I believe he is trying to hype him up.  I just dont want to be a negative Nelly and not try everything possible, but I am truly having a hard time believing that is the answer.  Ridlen is the only med he mentioned by name. 

For some folks in the earlier to mid-stages of dementia, Ritalin can be helpful. Just as with people who have ADHD, the medication can support the ability to focus and engage. People I know who have used it successfully claim their LO seemed to get a bit of a cognitive bump from it in the earlier stages. 

That said, if his fluid retention is the result of cardiac issues, a stimulant might not be a safe option for him. 

HB

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Berryette wrote:
    We saw DH's primary care doc today.  He has been having leg edema.  Doc decided to put him on a water pill and told DH that he wanted him to walk 100 steps after every time he went to the bathroom.  His hope is for exercise and better circulation.  

This is a good plan for the average person.  For DH, can he elevate his legs when sitting or lying down?  Can he wear support hose?  Does he have a diagnosis if congestive heart failure?  Is he a diabetic?   

If you can, check his feet and legs daily by pressing down and seeing there is a dimple imprint.  The goal is to have no dimple.

All treatments have to be considered in terms of what is reasonable for each patient.  Do what you can do.  A doctor should be able to give you an idea of his overall status, meaning how aggressive to treat co-illnesses with dementia.  There is a book called Hard Choices for Loving Families, or something like that. 

Iris

• Berryette
    Berryette Member Posts: 47
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Oh Kenzie56-  that would be so amazing!!!  I gear up with old clothes and heavy socks each day I go in to clean his bathroom.  Then take them off before stepping out.  I would pay good money for a robot to do this part!!  He he.  Thanks for the chuckle!!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more