Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Loving Words

Whyzit
Whyzit Member Posts: 156
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

DH tells me he loves me repetitively (like every 5 to 10 minutes). It feels smothering to me. Is there an attempt on his part to make certain that I am always here to take care of him? Is it fear on his part? Does he genuinely mean it? Is he just stuck in repetition?

He says “Did I tell you today how much I love you?” If I say yes and I love you too, he responds with, “well I’ll tell you anyway. I love you bunches and bunches and I’m not afraid to tell you.”  If I say no, he says “I love you bunches……etc.

In our 58 years of marriage he has never been so “loving” with this kind of wording. A simple “I love you” is what I am accustomed to and feel comfortable with. Help

Comments

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    You are blessed!!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Who knows what the cause is? But you'd better hold on to those words. One day you'll be wishing you could hear them again. Count that as a win!
  • PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Whyzit 

Same here with my DH. New behavior past month or so.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Whyzit, someday we will wish we could hear those words again. My dh is always saying “I don’t know what I would do without you, I love you “. Several times a day he tells me this. Most of the time it is heart breaking and sometimes, right after I’ve got him cleaned up, redressed, thrown blankets all around him (he now says he’s freezing to death, not just cold but freezing) I’m not in a loving mood. I hate this disease! 

All we can do keep loving them and be grateful they can still say those words! 

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    Ditto all that's been said. Try to cherish these moments because they may turn into cruel accusations and name calling at the drop of a dime. When my DH is lucid and tells me how much he appreciates that I'm there for him, it fuels my very low reserve.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    What a blessing! My DH hasn't spoken in over 2 years.  What I'd give to hear anything from him. Treasure these words in your heart and memory.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    My dh did that for a while. I did try to remember to appreciate it, but repetition bothers me at the best of times. He doesn't do it as much any more, so I'd say it lasted about 6-9 months.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Whyzit, my DH tells me he loves me many times a day.  Sometimes he gives me a tender look when he says it.  Other times he looks rather sad.  Sometimes he follows it with, "I'm sorry I got old on you."  This really tears at my heart.  When we go to bed each night, he holds my hand and tells me several times that he loves me.  I always tell him I love him, too.  I wish there was some way to record him saying these words because someday he may not be able to.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Brenda, use your phone and do a video and then you will always have it to hear.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more