Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hospital hell

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
So, DH went by ambulance this morning to ER for blood in his urine. They are admitting him but we have been waiting in the hallway of the ER waiting for a bed for TEN hours. It’s hard enough on me let alone a patient with Alzheimer’s. Argh!!!!

Comments

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Unbelievable!  You must be exhausted ElCy.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm sorry ElCy. I've seen wait times like that around here too. It's really difficult. They took my wife into the ER, and put her in a bed in the hallway because there were no rooms open at that time.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Elcy I am so sorry,the er isn't a place for a pwd and especially with this condition. Praying for you both for a room, a dx, and peace. You must be exhausted. Take care of you.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Been there too, im so sorry.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    ElCy, so sorry you're going through this. I hope a bed is open by now. When DH went to the ER Oct 2021, during the COVID lock down, I wasn't even allowed to go in with him. Q&A were all done via phone. He waited 14 hrs--admitted to ER 9:30am, room available 11:30pm. At least they didn't tow away my car in the ER parking lot.
  • ElCy
    Hour 18…
  • toolbeltexpert
    Elcy I hope you got a chance to get something to eat and shut your eyes if only for a few minutes. We are all here for ya.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    ElCy, are they at least medicating him and giving him food and water? Have you had anything to eat? I don’t suppose there is another hospital he could go to? I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this.
  • ElCy
    23 hours total in the hall. And yes, they were medicating him. We are now in a private room in ER with a TV and lounge chair for me waiting for a geripsych bed to open up. We are both much more comfortable. Thank you for your support.
  • toolbeltexpert
    That is such good news, hoping they brought you some needed food. Take some rest now.
  • Lgw
    Lgw Member Posts: 115
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    So sorry. I thought the 5 hours without liquid for my severely dehydrated DH.  They at least made a "room" in an exam room for 4 days until a room became available.  Got to love Covid, Flu, and RSV.  Hope things get better for you.  Be glad when these diseases "go away" or at least become manageable.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

EICy so glad to hear that finally got you guys in a room!  Hope your dh is doing better now that he’s getting meds. Please try to get some rest and hopefully some food. Take care and praying for you both. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    ElCy, 23 hours? That's crazy! But I'm glad they finally have you set up. Hopefully you will be able to get at least some rest, even though I know a hospital is not the place to feel rested. Just take care of yourself the best you can.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    23 Hours? that's just insane! Glad you are set up now and hope you'll be able to get good help for your LO and yourself.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more