Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New to this forum(2)

Good day all. My name is Joe and I just joined the forum. I posted a lengthy remark about my situation and maybe it is on my profile. I haven't checked to see. My basic situation is that I am a caregiver for my wife who has some kind of unspecified dementia and it has recently gotten really bad and and tomorrow I will be checking out a local nursing home that is supposed to specialize in taking care of people with dementia. It has reached the point where she hardly eats anything. Visits to her PC doctor confirmed that she has lost eight pounds in the past month. I am looking to see if anyone has experienced a similar situation and how they handled it and any advice they could give me. I will appreciate any of your responses even if only to say welcome aboard.

Comments

• ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Hi Joe, so sorry you have to be here. If you posted to your profile chances are very few people have read it yet. Post on the forums so as many people as possible can help. Since you are new there are a few things you should do immediately before it’s too late. The #1 is meeting with a Certified Elder Care Attorney who will help you out in place paperwork you will need to help your wife and protect your assets. 

You may want to visit a number of facilities before you place your wife (I went overboard and saw 18). But visiting a few will enable you to find the right fit. Most of all look at how te caregivers are with the residents and the cleanliness. 

Your wife Will have to be evaluated by the facility and sometimes your first choice may not think she is a good fit or they may not have availability.

Keep asking questions here. We are here to help each other.

• ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Also, your wife may need meds that will help her with appetite and behaviors. Your PCP may not be the right doctor to prescribe. There are meds available that do wonders to help.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Welcome to a place I wish didn't need to exist but glad it does to help all caregivers to make it thru the day.

I checked your profile and don't see anything in the way of details, so you might just want to try putting it on this thread as a posting.

The detail will help others to chime in with their experiences and suggestions.

Wishing you both the best.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi Joe and welcome, sorry you have to be here. But in my opinion it’s the best place to find answers and support. A great bunch of people going down the same horrible road. I don’t really have any information about facilities as I still care for dh at home. I’m sure many others will come on and share their experiences with you. EICy is correct, you definitely need to check out many places before committing. 

Best of luck to you!  Oh, I didn’t see any information in your profile. 

• Lgw
    Lgw Member Posts: 115
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Agree with all the comments.  These people have been such a help to me.  I know people that have been thru it would answer better and faster that any Dr.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Sailor Joe welcome aboard. 

Your situation from your post sounds like your dw is well advanced, weight loss is a later symptom. Without aot of details this could be a time to be seeking out hospice care. You are in a great place for solid advice. Keep reading and posting let know how your search goes for placement.

I placed my dw 4 months ago after a lengthy stay at a geripsych and skilled nursing facility, snf.

Stewart

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hi Joe. Welcome aboard. Sorry you have a use for the forum, but it's a good one, with a lot of caring people. I don't  have anything to say that hasn't been said, but wanted to welcome you.
  • Sailorjoe
    Sailorjoe Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    Thank you very much for your interest and your advice. It seems like good advice. I think that I don't have as many options where we live as do you but I will certainly explore your points.
  • Sailorjoe
    First Comment
    My last reply was directed at the first person who responded but it seems to apply to others as well. I still have much to learn about how this forum operates. I am a moderator on another forum but on a completely different subject.It deals with one of my hobby interests. I will get back later and add more detail about DW condition and some of the options I have where I live.
  • jj2008
    jj2008 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Hi Joe,

Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm new here too - my DH was officially diagnosed with ES in October, and seems to be progressing quickly. My mother also had VD, and quit eating. She ate a fairly large meal after not eating much for weeks, and ended up with a twisted intestine and stomach blockage that resulted in surgery and a feeding tube for the last year of her life. This was an emergency situation that happened quickly, and the care facility missed. It's something to be aware of when a LO quits eating. Best of luck. 

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Joe — in addition to being another voice to welcome you to the forum, I wanted to respond more directly to the weight loss question you raised.  I concur with Stewart that loss of appetite and weight loss are generally associated with later stages of AD.
    My DW, who is late stage 6, lost 20 pounds last year inside six months.  She has not stopped eating, but I think her body is no longer processing nutrients as it did when she was healthier.   You may want to google ‘cachexia,’ as it may apply to advanced AD patients as well as advanced cancer and HIV patients.
    Depending on what your care/treatment plan is, there are medications your DW’s physician could prescribe to enhance appetite, as Elcy noted.
    Weight loss that rapid is alarming.  What did the doctor say about it?
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Welcome, Sailorjoe, to the place where you'll find lots of support and invaluable info! I'm no expert so I can only offer my experience. My Joe lost 15 lbs over a 2 month span then suddenly plateaued and has stayed there ever since. There was no change in medication nor appetite, as a matter of fact, appetite was better than usual. His neurologist thought it was due to the medication, but he's been on the medication for over 5 months at the time weight loss started.

Anyhow, I have no idea what stage he's in because with Lewy Body Dementia, which is his current probable diagnosis, symptoms from any stage can appear all at once, whenever. If your DW is losing appetite, she has a different "symptom." Best of luck in finding the right facility and care for your wife.

• Sailorjoe
    First Comment
    I still intend to tell you folks more about my DW situation and the care facility that I visited today but I've been very busy as you no doubt understand. I've reached out to you to help guide me down a road I've never been before. Hopefully I will be able to give more detail tomorrow. I appreciate very much all who stick with me now.-Joe
  • Sailorjoe
    First Comment
    I apologize for not getting back much sooner to you good people. I had to have DW transported to the hospital ER Wed. morning. She is supposed to be released this afternoon. It was related to her COPD. Prior to that I had several issues to attend to that prevented me coming back here. It has become apparent to me that I should have joined this forum much sooner. I would have benefited greatly. I am not sure when I can get back. I haven't even learned how to navigate around the forum. I have put the assisted living place on the back burner and don't know now when it will get moved to the front burner. Thanks to everyone who gave me the positive response and advice.
  • AWilder
    AWilder Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Hi, Joe, I am new tonight myself. I send you good thoughts of support as you travel this path. I know little about facilities but know that's on the horizon for us, soon. My best to you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more