Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

MIL in hospital

Kevcoy
Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
My MIL has been in the hospital for the past 2 weeks due to her continuing falling down and hurting herself.  The other day we had lunch with a couple of friends who were asking DH questions about his mother which is alright, but his answers are completely wrong.  Like, what happened to your mother?  His answer is, someone broke into her house and hit her in the face and left her on the floor when in reality her legs are going out and can't support her so she falls.  Or how is she doing?  The last time he saw her she was asleep so his answer is she is in a coma and only has days to live.  Their response is like, OMG!  What are you going to do next? Which only upsets DH more.  My question is, do I correct his statements then and there which makes him mad at me or just let it go?  I really don't know why people who know his condition ask him questions like this.  It's just confusing to DH and the people asking the questions.

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Kevcoy-

I wonder if this violent ideation is related to his previous TV choices? My dad took a real dark turn whenever he watched mom's CSIs. The next day he would be full of graphic descriptions of assaults of all kinds. I finally put parental controls on the TV.

In your shoes, I would be proactive and contact these folks ahead of time asking that they not bring mom up and letting them know what's really going on. Once they've asked it's too late. Just tell them he has problems processing unhappy information now and to please keep things breezy.

HB
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    If this happened again, I'd stay behind him, and shake your head "no". You can explain later.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more