Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Belsomra

Anyone try Belsomra for sundowning?   Along with other things I can try, an Alzheimer’s Care Consultant suggested I run it by my husbands doctor. I’ve been living on 3 hours sleep, more or less, sleep a night because my husband goes to bed at 8:00 and is up two hours later for the night.

Comments

• Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    DH started Belsomra last March when I was only getting 2-3 hours of sleep due to his wandering, getting dressed, going to the kitchen to eat, etc.  It has helped so much! I give him a dose at 9:00 pm along with his last of three doses per day of Seroquel. After he started Belsomra, he only got up a couple times during the night. Once I redirected him back to bed, he fell asleep. It didn't knock him out or make him dizzy. It somehow reestablishes the circadian rhythm. DH is now between stage 6/7 and he doesn't get up any longer. I think that has more to do with his stage than the medication, though. Talk to your doctor and see what is best for your DH. What I have learned is that what works for one person, may not work for another. It is worth discussing. My DH has been on the regular dementia meds and a medication for anxiety for a few years. They never really made a difference in his sleep pattern (Memantine, Donepezil, and for anxiety Lexapro), but Belsomra did. Good luck - I know sleep deprivation is awful and just to relax and get a few more hours per night makes all the difference in the world.
  • Otis2424
    Otis2424 Member Posts: 9
    First Comment

Thank you for your input!  Sent it to my doctor. Have an appt tomorrow. Last night my hubby went to bed for one hour. I’m beyond tired.  

I love the picture of your dogs. My Aussie girls are so comforting to me.

• Kenzie56

Otis2424, I don't read about pets too much on this forum, but I really don't know what I would do without my German shepherds (I have mother and daughter GSD).  Now that DH is in the advanced stage of dementia, the dogs sense his good days and bad days before I do and will come over and sit next to him or put a head in DH's lap.  At night, though, they will sleep in the guest room with me - one in the doorway and the other on the floor next to my side of the bed. I wonder if they "guard" me because he has outbursts, and nightmares from time to time.  I try to look up interactions between dogs and PWD, but I just find things related to their calming powers or therapy dogs. We have had the girls for 10 years and they have watched DH slip away. They must be confused, but they act like they are in total control...probably better than I.  I know your Aussies must be a comfort to you, too. Where would we be without them?

I hope your appointment went well with your doctor. Thinking of you.

• Otis2424
    First Comment

Hi!

Met with the doctor. He has never prescribed Belsomra. He said usual prescription is no longer than 4 weeks. He said he’d keep it on the back burner. Last night would’ve been night 4 of no sleep so gave him quetiapine. When you say DH what does that stand for?  He wouldn’t go to bed, was agitated, hallucinating, turning on every light in the house and pacing our house. Was totally out of it from lack of sleep. Gave him the med, turned the bedroom light on low and turned the tv on mute. Within 5 minutes he was asleep and slept 10:30 til 8:30 this morning. What a difference sleep makes on how sharp he is the next day. 

Quetiapine was prescribed previously by another doctor but I was told it was a last resort med. Today his primary doctor said to use as needed. 

When I’m holed up in my bedroom with Reese and Sophie at night, it gives me comfort during a crazy night. Lots of hugging   I’m new at this, progression seems to be fast. Not sure what stage we are in.  Days are only bad if he doesn’t sleep which lately has been most of the time.  Then he sleeps most of the day, can’t form a sentence that makes sense and hallucinates.  If he does sleep, he is pretty good  

My Aussies are 2 and 3. Tons of energy. I love them so much!!!!

• Otis2424
    First Comment

H,

Used quetiapine (soroquel) last night, husband up all night. Doctor decided we could do a trial of Belsomra. I’m in rural Northern California and there is none to be found. Pharmacy needs to order. Insurance denied Belsomra but doc is going to do a pre authorization and explain why it is needed. Did you have this problem?  

• Kenzie56

I had no problem with the insurance company. We have MedicareAdvantage. Belsomra is expensive. I pay $150 for 90 days. Since it works so well for my husband, I gladly pay the cost.  I am glad that your doctor will consider a trial. I hope it works for your husband. My doctor never mentioned a four week limit on using it.  Regarding DH, many of us use abbreviations instead of always writing out certain words. The list should be next to this text box.  DH stands for dear husband.  

My husband has mixed dementia (Vascular and Alzheimer's) and the Vascular dementia has impacted  his frontal lobe. He also struggles to communicate and since September, he struggles to comprehend people, movies, and the written language.  I have to point a lot and use short phrases, yes/no questions and limit loud noises, etc. Quite a learning curve.  My mother-in-law (MIL) had Lewy Body Dementia. I was her caregiver, too.  Her symptoms were so different from my DH - she was quite verbal until she passed at age 95, but she was aggressive. She also had hallucinations and delusions. Her neurologist put her on Seroquel and Depakote, which helped her.  My husband's brother and sister also have Alzheimer's.  DH and siblings are in their 70s. They are all different with symptoms and duration at each stage. Many people on this site will usually share experiences, suggestions, etc., but will preface that each person with dementia (PWD) is different depending on age, type of dementia and other health issues a person may have.

I am thinking of you and I hope you get some sleep soon. Keep us posted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more