Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Fingers crossed, hoping elder law attorney helps

I've only been a member a few weeks on this forum, and it seems that those of you that have dealt with caregiving for a spouse with dementia for several years all give same advice. Contact an elder law attorney. My husband and I have an appointment the 24th of this month. I hope I get answers to a lot of questions. And that I can get help taking care of husband without going to the poor house, here in Missouri.

Comments

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    Good luck, Marie.  I hope you get the answers you need.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Let us know how it goes. Is your husband up for participating in the discussion? My partner would not have been, but it's quite variable. In case he becomes defensive, a written list of your questions that the attorney could peruse without discussion would probably be a good thing to take with you.
  • Marie67
    Marie67 Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments
    I really doubt he'll join in discussion. There is very little conversations that he joins in anymore. I'm afraid when we meet with attorney, he will not be competent enough to give me power of attorney. I never seen anything happen so fast. I'm probably going to have to go before a judge to get guardianship. But I think your suggestion of giving attorney a list of questions is still probably a good idea. Just in case he has one of his clearer days and decides to be argumentative.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Marie a good strategy is this. This is something your doing for Him in case something happens to you. I kinda prepared before the meeting with the lawyer so he knew the situation. My dw was so happy I was doing this for her. Marie one thing I learned is that a pwd can showtime at the least convenient time.

Praying it goes well for you.

Stewart

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello Marie, and a very warm welcome.   You are doing the right thing and will benefit from the information.  Here's hoping it all goes well; let us know how it turns out, we will be thinking of you.

J.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Best of luck for you Marie!
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Marie, I hope your appointment goes well.  You are doing the right thing and I hope the elder law attorney answers all of your questions.  I, too, live in Missouri and visited two elder law attorneys before getting the answers and the help I needed.  Best of luck to you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more