Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

GPS Tracking(2)

I just joined this group tonight and so glad I did.  My DH is still in the short term memory loss stage but I think things are changing a bit.  He loves to go for walks and will do anywhere between 4-7 miles a day.  We have 5 acres with an empty field of 11 acres on one side but we have a high school right next door to us.  Thankfully they know him but he had gone into the high school and got lost so he went in to a classroom asking for help.  The maintenance supervisor who is familiar with Alzheimer's as his dad was diagnosed with it came over today to let me know what had happened.  I have been tracking him on my cell phone with the Find My app but it doesn't pin point exactly where he is.  Has anyone looked into a better device that will be more accurate?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum, though sorry for your reasons to need it.  Someone may have a suggestion that will buy you a little time, but the really hard truth is likely that his days of solo walks are coming to an end.  Im amazed that he had access to get into the school, in this day and age-a stranger walking into a school is asking for trouble.

This reminds me of getting lost driving-it means it's time to stop.  I imagine that's going to be hard for both of you and I'm sorry for that. Maybe you can find someone to walk with him? Won't be quite the same, but the saying on these boards is that safety must drive the decision making. Good luck.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,361
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    heartbroken-

Hi and welcome. I am sorry for your need to be here but happy you found this place. It's great that you included some background in your profile; it's helpful.

I find my Apple watch fairly accurate for GPS in real time. It has a bonus of fall protection and emergency calling. That said, it is expensive, fragile (I wear a bumper on mine), has limited battery time and can be taken off. An Air Tag could also be used for tracking if you are Apple-people. 

That said, I would tend to agree with M1 that the time for solo walks has passed. You are fortunate to have gotten a warning delivered by an individual with compassion and understanding. The situation with him trespassing in the school could have gone horribly wrong. At best a lockdown/shelter in place would have been called upsetting the entire community and your DH could have been shot if things went sideways. My son's schools have gone into lockdown a few times. As a parent or student it is terrifying. 

Dementia involves so much more than just memory. It impacts the higher order thinking skills, executive functioning, social filters and empathy fairly early on. Given that your DH was diagnosed in 2016, it is very likely he is well into the middle stages of the disease. The loss of his previously excellent sense of direction suggests this as well. You may need to go on walks together or hire someone to be his walking companion. 

HB
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    I’m glad you’ve joined us Heartbroken, but sorry about your difficulties.   Like the others, I have to agree that your DH is no longer in the mild stage.  Getting lost in his own neighborhood is a sign of significant disease progression.  I’m so sorry.  That being said, I use the Life360 app, the free version, to track my husband’s phone when he walks or takes a bike ride.  It works very well.  Can you join him on his walks?  We had a couple in our neighborhood who walked all over the city, her with dementia, and him tailing along behind.
  • Ambriel
    Ambriel Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I truly feel your pain.  I’ve used Jiobit, Theora watch, Airtag for my DH & still use some of them.  But the best and easiest for them to use is Angelsense.  It has tracking capabilities as well as a speakerphone. It has a monthly subscription but it is life saving for both of us when I’m at work. It’s as big as a keyfob & they also have a watch now.   You can monitor them or it alerts you when they’re out of the zone (home or property) & you can call them from your phone with no button for them to push & talk to them or redirect them.  It  gives me a peace of mind even when he’s at home & doesn’t answer his phone bc I can call him on his Angelsense w/cis a clear as a speakerphone. It can be attached to a necklace or belt. You may share the application w/ another caregiver who can be another lookout for him.  It’s all worth it. My best and prayers for all carepartners.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My husband got lost twice in a week in our neighborhood and that was the last time he walked alone. I hired two caregivers who took turns walking with him and giving me a chance to get out of the house. It is just one more step down in this horrid disease process. It is just not easy for the caregiver.
  • wawatoosie
    wawatoosie Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I just joined this group tonight too but can offer that I'm going to purchase the Family 1st Portable Tracker with a subscription. My research also recommended Angelsense, Tracki, Ameriloc, and Land, Sea, Air.

My DH was finally diagnosed in October but I've seen it coming for at least a year and a half. He's still driving but just admitted to getting lost and losing the car in parking lots.

• heart broken
    heart broken Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Thank you everyone for suggestions on tracking.  For now I have changed to the Life 360 which shows where he is at with satellite.  I have a plan for $14.99 a month and no contract.  It is pretty accurate.  I have also bought the apple air tag with a key ring holder.  He always has his keys in his pocket.  It will arrive today so not sure yet how I will like it.  Also I have requested a slums test to be done but have not heard back yet for a date.  His last test a year ago was 18 out of 30.
  • Mrs Hordern
    Mrs Hordern Member Posts: 6
    First Comment First Anniversary

not able to put an app on DH phone as had to change to a simple Flip phone, he took the air tag out of his wallet said it was too bulky. He likes to go on walks however I need to know when he leaves our neighborhood! I really liked Life 360 but can’t put app on his phone, I work full time,

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I use an Apple luggage tag in my DH's wallet and it works great.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more