Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Rapid Decline(5)

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
DH went from driving and cooking to incontinent and nonsensical speech in less than 3 months. We are still in the hospital as they try to figure out what is happening. Treatment for UTI has not changed his behavior. He has regressed so much. Watches cartoons now. Can’t speak a sentence that makes any sense. On top of it, his knee has swollen up and he is in a lot of pain. MRI today. This morning was so difficult. He was shaking in frustration and pain. Drugs helped.

Comments

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 530
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    So, so sorry to hear this.  I can't begin to imagine the frustration and worry you have both been through.  I hope you are able to care for yourself at least to some extent.  This is just heartbreaking.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    ElCy how heartbreaking, I can only imagine you're at wit's end.  Please keep us posted when you can.
  • Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I hope you have a top neurologist looking at him.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    ElCy, I'm sorry. Please keep us updated.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    EiCy I know you’re going through hell right now. Glad the meds helped with his pain.  Hope the doctors can help him soon! Take care of yourself too!
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

EICy,

I'm sorry, what a hard time for you and him.  Hoping things ease up and you find out what's going on.  I will just pass on to you that my DH had an episode of knee swelling and terrible pain, and was finally diagnosed with gout, which he had experienced in the past,but not in the knee.  Probably not what your LO has, but one never knows.  God bless you both and give you some peace. 

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Dear ElCy:

You DH went from driving to incontinence and nonsensical speech in 3 months.....terrifying.  My heart goes out to you and to your DH.

May I ask what your DH's diagnosis is?  I ask because my DH is driving and cooking now.....and I have the illusion that there are many years of slow decline, not this shocking speed of deterioration.

Each time my DH adds to his 'memory losses' and this upsets me, my son, a doctor, keeps telling me, "Mom, this is only going in one direction".  I hear him, but I'm still in denial, I can tell.

You are exhausted now, so much to do, so many unanswered questions.  Also in shock.....I hope you can get some help so you have some time to rest.

Love, Elaine

• ElCy

Thanks everyone, still in hospital. His IV line won’t draw blood so when they need blood they have to poke him and he just freaks out, becomes violent. When they give an IV and have to flush it, same behavior. I think the cold in his veins hurts him. MRI has to be done again as he moved too much but they did say he had a stroke in the past. And they said his behaviors will just continue to decline. He’s been soaked in urine since last night and won’t let anyone change him or the linens.

Elaine, he was diagnosed with MCI late 2019. Slowly became early onset Alzheimer’s. I thought we were at the very beginning. They now think he also might have Frontal Temporal. But who knows?

• ElCy
    Docs confirmed he now has severe dementia. Just skipped stage 5 completely. He started fidgeting for the first time yesterday. Tried to eat milk with a fork. Hasn’t sat up or walked in 3 days. Wouldn’t let anyone change him and was urine drenched from 2 a.m. - 5 p.m. Docs also said he’s had a stroke in the past. That was mews to me.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Dear ELCy, You have been through so much in such a short time. My heart goes out to you. Holding you close in prayer and sending hugs.
  • dhyink
    dhyink Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments First Anniversary

ElCy,

I am so sorry to hear about your husband's decline. The unpredictable nature of dementia progression is so frustrating.  I can relate to your DH refusing to have his incontinence briefs changed.  My DH will sometimes sit in a pool of urine for hours before he will let me change him.   We are trying out condom catheters to reduce the number of times we need to change him.  (they work, but he sometimes take them off).   I also coat him thoroughly with barrier cream (back and front) every time I change him to help prevent skin breakdown and use the highly absorbent adult underwear to reduce issues.  

So far it is working.  The open sores on his rear have healed.  

• Katie Roo
    Katie Roo Member Posts: 30
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    EICy, I am so sorry.  Please keep us updated and know we are here for you.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Elcy so sorry this hasn't been resolved, I can't imagine, you must be frazzled.

I hope you've been finding time to take care of you.

• Belldream
    Belldream Member Posts: 42
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    I'm so very sorry to hear this EICy. This disease is so unpredictable. We had a similar experience where DH declined rapidly in a 3 month period. He went from (I estimate) a 7 out of 10 to a 3 out of 10 in mental decline and also just woke up unable to walk or stand. It was like all his strength disappeared overnight.  He did relearn to walk while in rehab at a SNF but it's not great. He's still very unsteady. And his mental state hasn't improved much. He was cooking but now I turn off the circuit breaker to the stove each night and unplug the toaster. I close off the pantry where all the pots and pans are and hide the knives. He's too confused and on another planet to do anything safely alone. He doesn't even seem to remember his car he drove just before this all happened. So strange. I hope he improves and please take care of yourself.
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Oh ElCy, I'm so very sorry you are going through all this.  I do hope you get some respite for yourself and can keep yourself  healthy.  It's all so debilitating for everyone.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more