Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Stunning Death In Assisted Living With False Reporting

Jo C.
Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Stunning and horrific - the penalties for the facility were so low that they seem ridiculous.  I feel so bad for the family who have to bear this:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/were-told-mothers-death-peaceful-045500616.html

J.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    WOW! I'm speechless!!
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I believe there’s a very special place in hell for people like those!
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

This story is horrible. Yet I can see how it could happen, in our world of too many residents, too few staff and staff that's just there for the small paycheck, who feel that they'll only do the bare minimum because they're only paid the bare minimum.

Heartbreaking.

• Jo C.

The website for this particular facility presents a beautiful building; the text mentions security multiple times.   It seems their Memory Care Unit has studio rooms for 26 patients; I do not know if the unit was at that capacity or not.

One thing I found interesting is that there were three aides on the Memory Care unit. They USED to assign specific patients to each aide to oversee/care for, but had dropped that care model.  No individual patients for each aide; instead, the three aides appeared to be free floating amongst the Memory Care patient population.  I wonder if and how much effect that may possibly have had upon what so dreadfully happened.

J.

• JudyMorrowMaloney
    JudyMorrowMaloney Member Posts: 74
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Horrible. The door to the outside courtyard never should have been open and this woman never should have been out there unattended. On top of that, for this facility to lie the way they did is criminal.
  • Jo C.

Evidently the "floating" three member aide staff were not aware the patient was missing?  Or if she was seen, did they just think she was okay outside?  Don't know.  The lying is absolutely indefensible and shocking.   It is a facility that expresses they are Christian oriented which must make things even more difficult.  "Blame" and responsibility can only come from one place; the patient was not competent to format her own plan of care or be aware of her own safety needs. That would be the responsibility of the facility staff and management oversight to ensure safety was the priority with policies reflecting that while ensuring it was being done including security with security checks. Security of doors, etc. may be an issue from what it sounds like.  A nightmare tragedy for the family unto always.   I am sure all involved are horrified and deeply regretful, but that does not change the outcome for the patient and family.

I am by far more comfortable with patients being assigned to a particular aide; all aides help one another as needed and they also see the environment and other patients not assigned to them. When assigned a patient, the aide is far more likely to be attuned to the patient's presence, needs or even in this case, lack of presence.

Just thinking out loud.

J.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Christian oriented? I do not think religion trumps training....ever!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more