Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Being oblivious to other people

Iris L.
Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Many of you post about your LO being oblivious to how much work you do or how much toll is taken on you.  It is not only PWDS who are oblivious.  My 91 yo frail neighbor, who does not have dementia, is also oblivious.   Yesterday I got called twice by her Life Alert company to help them gain entry,  because she had fallen twice.  I had to rush home from my errands twice because I thought is was an emergency.  It wasn't.  The Life Alert was able to gain entry without me.  Today, I told her I had been interrupted twice while doing my errands.  She said, "why did they call you?  I was okay!"  So it was not a big deal to her.  I told her from now on, I will continue with my errands and not rush back home.  She just shrugged.

Those of you dealing with PWDs, they have anosognosia and do not know what they're saying.  My neighbor knows exactly what she is saying.  I have to take care of myself,  because I was stressed out yesterday from driving fast in traffic to get back home.  I won't put myself through that again.

Iris

Comments

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Iris.   Please don't put yourself through that again. You're a good person you need to take care of yourself only. Why can't the management let them in? You need to stay in your own little bubble as you call it and be safe. Maybe she needs to find someone else for Life Alert to call. Hugs Zetta
  • Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 472
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Iris, I love your words of wisdom. Praying for a restful 

day for you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    My aunt, my 100 year old mother’s older sister, did this to her poor daughter. My cousin lived about 90 minutes from her mother. She was called constantly for insignificant reasons. I think my aunt was bored and lonely and knew her daughter would come running. Her son lives 3000 miles away. She didn’t seem to understand or accept the fact that her daughter had her own children, her own full time job, and a husband who was very tolerant of his mother-in-law’s whims. My aunt refused to leave her home with two floors. She fell constantly, breaking bones on a few occasions. My aunt, who did not have dementia, is gone now. She was quite a lady, but in her last years she created a very rough time for her daughter.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more