Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Are YOU safe to drive?

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I think we all know that as people age, the chances for driving safely go down. That's just the way it is. Illness, hearing difficulties, reaction time, and vision all contribute to safe/unsafe driving. I think I still drive without a problem, as I'm sure you do too. So what kind of new laws would you support to keep the roads safer? Since 65 and older seems to be the age where it is assumed to become riskier for people to drive safely, I would support a road test yearly or every other year in order to keep a driver's license when you reach that age. I would also back a law requiring you to have a driving road test soon after being in an accident, regardless of your age.

It's possible that even if we think we're safe to drive, we really aren't. So any new laws could potentially affect our ability to get or keep our license. I think it's worth it. So what new laws would you support?

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I heartily support annual testing!!!!!
  • piozam13
    piozam13 Member Posts: 72
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    I'm 75 active, fit and healthy.  But many my age aren't.  And Ed is right.  I support annual testing maybe after 70.
  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I don't know. I guess when I really think about it, I would support annual testing at some age, but I'm not sure at what age.  75 maybe?

The reason why I hesitate is because it's really about safety, not age. There are plenty of people out there who are unsafe to drive at any age. My s.o. is a horrible driver (he'd agree with me). I've been in three car wrecks in my life and he was driving in each of them, and each of these happened when he was in his late 20s-early 30s. When I'm in the car with him now, I drive. Always. It's a rule.

Long before Peggy was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, she was also a horrible driver. She totaled two cars in her time.  Needless to say, I wouldn't let her drive me around either. 

Then there are people who text, put on their make-up, etc., when they drive. They're also unsafe on the road.

Logistics of annual testing could very well be a bear. DMVs are always understaffed (at least it seems that way in California). How far in advance do you need to plan in order to take an annual driving test? Will people over a certain age get priority with appointments? What about new drivers?

It seems really fraught.

• Whyzit
    Whyzit Member Posts: 156
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I am 81 and 1/2. Lol I got my latest license in 2019  and it expires on my birthday in 2025 when I will be 84 (whew) .  It probably will be renewed by mail as that is how it is done here. My major problem in driving is getting my rolator in and out of the car. I don’t know how much longer I’ll be driving but that is why I chose to live where I do. Our condo association owns a van and it is used to go shopping or on special events. Dial-a-ride operates in our town and it costs $25 a year for singles and $35 for a couple. I use it for medical appointments in an adjacent town. I don’t drive on expressways or at night because I’m not comfortable doing so. Where I live the roads are mostly two lanes which makes a huge difference. Some of our condo neighbors don’t drive anymore and rightfully so, others shouldn’t as evidenced by the scrapes and bumps on their cars. There are some who drive that I wouldn’t accept a ride from. The only damage on my car was caused by hail. I have had one ticket in my life when I was 19.

Generally, at my age I think it would be appropriate to have less time between license renewals, have in-person renewal with eye test, reaction testing and cognitive testing.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Mayor Ed-

The logistics of this would be a nightmare. The DMV can barely handle the crush of teenagers getting their first test. Testing here is by appointment and generally about a month out during the school year-- longer during the summer. Perhaps a computer simulation could be used for re-testing but even that would require additional equipment and personnel. 

How do you propose we pay for it all? Increased taxes? Higher licensing fees? Should there be a senior surcharge for a license renewed after a certain age? What age would that be? 

HB
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

HB, you bring up some valid points. I guess my answer to that would be that we can keep fees in check by leaving things as they are, but at what cost? How much is even one life worth? I know not everybody would support something like this, but I would. 

A computer simulation could be a good thing to consider if you want to keep costs down. It seems that would be much more affordable, and could be given at the time of license renewal, without a physical road test.

• Bob in LW
    Bob in LW Member Posts: 91
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Here in California a driver's license cannot be renewed by mail after age 70. A driving test is not ordered simply because of age, but when taking the written test, it can be required if the applicant's ability is observed to be questionable.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more