Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Labeling kitchen cabinets

My husband searches thru the cabinets just about every time he is in the kitchen.  I try not to say anything as it seems like it upsets him.  But yesterday he said that he can't remember where anything is.  I asked him what he thought of me labeling the cabinets.  While he was sleeping, I did one to make sure he could read the labels.  He doesnt want me to do it because he says it will take the finish off of them.  Thoughts?  What have others done to help with this?  Thanks!

Comments

• ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    I found labeling really didn’t work. It was almost like he never even saw them.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I’m with EICy, I tried it and it really seemed more confusing for my dh. After he tried reading the label he forgot what he was looking for.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    My wife used to open the cabinet doors just to see what was in them. It was like she'd never seen them before. I doubt labels would have worked for her, but I never tried that. She didn't really take things out of the cabinets. She just wanted to see what was in there.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,724
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Same experience here, I doubt it would help.  We tried calendars and labels, but the fundamental problem was that the ability to use them was already gone.  To this day in memory care, my partner wants to write things down but then has no idea what she's written down.  She fools with dozens of pieces of paper constantly, most of which have my phone number on them, but she doesn't recognize it for what it is.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Victoria2020 wrote:

Things right in the middle of their field of vision could have be on Mars.

Yeah, I've seen that several times with my wife.

• Berryette
    Berryette Member Posts: 47
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Ed- that seems to be what he is doing.  He just looks in a couple of them and is done.  He does get out his drinking glass.  That's pretty much all.  I appreciate everyone's input.  I have taken the two labels I made down.  He got upset yesterday - saying that he doesnt have any trouble with knowing where things are.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I agree with the others.  I've attempted to label a variety of things, both momentarily and permanently, he just can't do it.  For a while he was still taking garbage out to the big cans for me, black for garbage and yellow for recycling items.  I would label the bag he was taking out either black or yellow, but he didn't have the cognitive ability to know to look at that label, or once he looked at it to make the connections as to what it was for.  The same with drawers in his dresser, it just doesn't work.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more