Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Grief/ Homecare/ Virtual Support Groups

Hi Everyone,

I introduced myself a couple of months ago and then never came back.  I've been in overdrive trying my best to prepare for this change in our lives.  I've made some progress, but mostly I am in a waiting game which I am not good at.  I feel so helpless.

DH received an original diagnosis of possible Vascular Dementia with Alzheimers.  We waited months to get the Alz testing done then several weeks for the results.  We've been sent the results - we now know that he does not have Alz, just VD.  But we still have yet to speak to the doctor.  We waited weeks for our appointment, just to have it moved out another week.  Sigh.

In the mean time, DH is slowly slipping.  He had his first episodes of delirium a few days ago.  Three times that day.  My beautiful, brave husband is now a frightened child and I am grieving. 

I've been called back to work 2 days per week and need to hire homecare but can't afford much. Because of my salary we don't qualify for Medical and IHHS.  Choosing an agency is daunting - is anyone good enough to take care of my husband in my home when I am not here?  

My therapist wants to me to get into a virtual or phone support group but I can't find one anywhere.

Frustrated and grief stricken - suggestions are welcome.  

Thank you,

Marci

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Marci, look toward the top of the page for "Solutions". Click on that, then select "Community Resources". Click on "Community Resource finder". Then "Programs and events". Then you can enter your zip code to see which groups are available now.

If you don't find anything you want, come back here. You will get a lot of support here, even though it is not local. I'm sorry it's so hard.

• RCT
    RCT Member Posts: 54
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    There is lots of free help available….I Zoom with a local caregiver support group. Anyone can join. Private message me if you would like the info. I am also seeing an Anticipatory Grief counselor through Hospice. 4 free sessions. Am sure you are overwhelmed  and am sending prayers.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    You can check your local council on aging and the hospital as well for support groups Marcie.
  • Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    Marci, hang in there!  The waiting game for test results is like slow torture.  Keep in mind, you may not know the exact type of dementia from these tests...neurologists use them to rule out certain things and give you the best diagnosis they can with the information they have.  With that said, the information the others have given you is great to help you navigate this horrible journey we are all on. I learn so much on this site and find over the years it is often a trail and error learning curve to see what works.  When my husband was diagnosed with mixed dementia (VD & Alz), I read as many books and articles as I could find - I still do.  It helped prepare me for the dips and plateaus...but there are still so many things that pop up and surprise me. I am grateful for people on this site that talk about their situation and for those that respond with possible "solutions".  I give most of them a try. I hope you find a support group to help you and I also hope the doctors become a little more responsive to your needs. Sending a virtual hug.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more