Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

nights are the worst

Peewee has started to wake up confused. Sunday morning Peewee woke up around 3 am and asked me whose house he was in mine or his. I told him we are in our house and he looked at me like I was from the moon. I told him that we are married and we are in our home. Peewee then asked me if we were married to each other which I told him that yes we are married and then he asked when did that happen? I told him 25 years ago. His response to that was I guess I been back to sleep since then.

He seems to be fine once he goes back to sleep and wakes up again.

Is this the beginning of him not remembering Me?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I can only tell you what happened with my wife. Our son from Florida was visiting, and we were all sitting there talking. After several minutes she looked at our son, and asked "Where are your parents?". Another time one of our daughters was visiting her while she was in bed. She asked our daughter to lay down next to her. She did, then my wife said "Do you know what Jennifer did?". Our daughter told her she was Jennifer. Both of these instances were temporary losses. To the best of my knowledge, she knew everyone after those two episodes.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    My DH never asked about the house or if we were married, but about a year or more ago there was a period of a month or so when he didn’t know my name. He would call me by his sister’s name or just act confused if asked. After changes in medications he remembers my name all the time now, along with other things. On a day to day basis he sometimes remembers other things one day and then not the next. Even the time of day can make a difference. So in his case some of these things were temporary. Maybe it was just a morning thing or a lack of sleep for your DH rather than a progression. It’s hard to know.
  • TyroneSlothrop
    TyroneSlothrop Member Posts: 51
    Third Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Ladypeewee,

My DW now frequently denies being married to me, after 47 years. And asks where I am, or where the other me went. I’m sort of surprised that it still hurts my feelings, but of course it doesn’t last; nothing lasts. It might be interesting if her world was a consistent, stable place, even if a cracked one. You could interact with it, somehow. But instead it’s just maddening nonsense, unlearnable, worthless. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more