Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Have to laugh

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,726
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
We have been having issues over the last few days with how my partner interacts with other residents on her MC unit.  The activities director was telling me that my partner still has her lifelong charisma (no surprise there) and that other residents look to her as a natural leader.  But that leads to some funny and surreal things--one resident apparently recently asked her for help, insisting that she needed to get to the airport.  Rather than recognizing the absurdity of that, my partner proceeded to ask her what time the flight was, whether she had packed, and had she called a taxi.  When no good answers were forthcoming, my partner finally went and got a staff member to take over, saying that she didn't have time to help.  So still knew what questions to ask, but no insight!!  Weird.

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Wow.

It is always fascinating to see a glimmer of their personality break through the losses and confusion.

There was a gentleman in dad's MCF for a time who'd been a restaurateur before retirement and dementia. He regarded the dining room as his domain. He would graciously greet and seat fellow residents but was quite the task master with the staff who came to serve the meals. They went along with it, but I always suspected it was because he insisted on setting up and then bussing the tables. 

HB
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thanks for the smile. Some things never change.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    and in her world it all made perfect sense....thanks for the share and the smile
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    The very fact that she could just come out with the appropriate questions, without hesitating for the situation . must’ve made you smile to yourself. It is strange what the brain can still do. Thank you for sharing, and a smile.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

That's a great story.

The admissions director where my dh has been for five months recently told me, "Wow, you were right! Joe really is a nice guy!" I'm not sure what she expected, but he really is.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    M1, she was asked for help and asked a bunch of appropriate questions, all relative to this woman getting to the airport. It’s not her job know whether the woman is allowed to go to the airport or to do all those required things for this woman and she probably didn’t have the patience anyway. So she did the logical thing and got the staff member to help the woman. Sounds right to me. There were several thought processes involved and she did them all right. I would count that as a big win.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Oh M; isn't she something!   All those years as a builder and contracter in charge of all the work, planning, controlling, overseeing the workers, the deadlines and all that entailed - some of those management and planning skills seem to still echoes with her; she was organized and "getting it going," until finally she had to give it over, must have been a bit frustrating not to be able to get that person sorted. 

Thank you for the endearing smile.,

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living