Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

More advice please

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
After 2 weeks hospital, my DH was medically cleared, and we found a bed in geripsych to tweak his meds. I will say he did great yesterday showered for the first time in three weeks, and got out of bed and walked around the halls. He is much, much less combative and has been doing OK when the nurses try to change him. They tested him for Covid before transfer and of course he tested positive. He has no symptoms. Here are my choices: send him to Geri psych where he will be in quarantine for 10 days, but they will be able to help get his meds. But I fear quarantine will be hell on him. Or I can just bring him back to MC and pray that his behaviors stay stable.

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    ElCy wrote:
     Or I can just bring him back to MC and pray that his behaviors stay stable.

He would expose other patients !!!

• ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Covid is already at MC and they will take him back.
  • Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions
    Wow - this is eye-opening.  I thought all facilities require a neg Covid test before placement and in our state all visitors are required to wear masks when in the common area to protect all memory care residents from possible infections. Would your DH be quarantined at MC? If not, I would be very upset if my DH got Covid (and possibly hospitalized) from a Covid positive patient that was recently admitted and not quarantined. That would be an additional nightmare that no family member would want to add to their plate. Sorry - just my 2 cents when you asked for input.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    ElCy, if he goes back to MC, then has a problem, that could become more of a problem in itself. If he is in geri-psych, and being quarantined becomes a problem, he is in the right place for treatment. Just my opinion. I know it's a hard call for you, and I'm sorry.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,412
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Just because he would be accepted back at the MC, that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be in isolation there too. If his medications aren’t tweaked he could also be asked to leave the MC later.   

I recommend that you take the opportunity to get his medications tweaked so that life is easier going forward.  I’ve seen too many instances of people brushing off the help that is offered only to regret it later 

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Elcy I wouldn't worry about bringing him back to mc, he has already had it and the test may be a false positive. The covid strain that is present isn't like what started this mess. That's also not to say that getting sick is a cake walk. Everybody where my dw was got covid except dw and 1 other person. All survived it and they have some very frail folks there. Staff brought it in bty. My dw got covid for the first time in geripsych bty.

Don't let fear rule your decisions, as far as isolation there are some widely different times. The geripsych where dw was was 5 days, the mc was 10 days. 

If you think he needs the meds adjusted that should rule the roost.

I am so glad your choices are still wide open it sounds like the uti may have been a major player in your dh behaviors.

No matter what we all will support you in this difficult journey!

Stewart

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney