Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Medicaid Funeral Assistance May Help Pay for Funeral Costs

Comments

• JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 167
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes
    Thanks for the great info, as usual! You are such an asset to this forum. Thank you for your much welcomed advice , support and inspiration!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Thank you, JC!!
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

It is true, Ed; you are a gem.  Many Members as well as those who do not join as Members but who come here to read are and will have been greatly assisted by your ongoing caring input. 

I checked with my state of California's Medi-Cal and it does not cover any burial or cremations.  Their input was to contact the state and county to see what may be available.  Really difficult on so many levels for the loving family who are in financial straits. The cost of cemetary plots are horrendously expensive, it really hits families hard.

I did read that if one has purchased a burial insurance policy, to have it not counted by Medi-Cal or Medicaid as an asset, it must be irrevocable.  So that too is something to check for one's state when deciding to make such a purchase.  I would also be careful that if a policy is purchased for burial through a specific funeral provider that it has a clause that if the funeral provider is no longer in business that the policy can be transferred to any other such provider.

I remember when we purchased a policy for my MIL, that it also was all-inclusive as stated with NO increase in costs in mortuary and burial services in the future. 

Thank you for that link; it is something that had fallen off my radar screen and the information is greatly appreciated.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney