Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Possibly changing memory care

When I placed my husband I looked at 10 facilities and ultimately chose a nearly new one that was bright and cheerful. It had lots of activities and was very clean. Their price was low partly because my husband was pretty self sufficient. Fast forward to today. He is incontinent, needs help with dressing and hygiene and is starting to need more help with eating. I received a big increase in his monthly bill to account for these changes. There is another facility that would charge me about $3000 less per month and whose charge would never reach what I am paying now. His current facility has the potential to go up at least $3000 more. I initially did not choose the cheaper place because it was old and I found it to be depressing although the care is good. I now realize my husband never looks at or notices his surroundings and he does not want to do any of the activities. I am seriously considering moving him because the initial savings of $36,000 a year is huge. He lives in the moment and I don’t think he would remember his current place once he was moved. Any thoughts about this.

Comments

• Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    I honestly think if the care is good and the people treat him well it really will not matter to him...and $36,000 a year is a lot of money as you well know.  I'm sure looking at the decorations are not what is paramount in your mind when you are visiting...and again if the people are compassionate that will totally resonate in your soul.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Gig Harbor wrote:
    There is another facility that would charge me about $3000 less per month and whose charge would never reach what I am paying now.  
    Be careful about this assumption. I placed DH in his current MC knowing the cost would go up as his care needs increased. However, last year they totally changed the rates and the way they charged per level of care because of staff shortages and the need to increase their pay to attract more caregivers. Current residents were NOT grandfathered in to the previous amounts. I protested, respectfully and with facts/reasons to not charge us the big increases, but that's another story. We did reach some compromises but I'm still paying more at this time than I expected, but not $3000 more per month! It would have been very difficult to move my DH at the time, and because he's end stage he'd probably only be accepted at a NH which isn't a good option where we live. You know your DH best and how a move would or wouldn't affect him. I'll keep you in my prayers that you make the best decision for both of you. 
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Gig....I would lean toward the trained staff. Please let us know when you decide.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Gig, I can tell you that my brother was in an old building that didn't look like much. But the care was good, and that's the most important thing.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Is this other place closer to you? If you like the care at the new place then I know you will make the right choice.  Best of luck to you.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My vote is for the good care even with more drab surroundings.  You are correct, they don't look at the "pretty."

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more