Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

No Sleep(4)

It’s 6:00 a.m.  My husband has had 3 hours of sleep in the last 3 nights. The last two he hasn’t slept at all. Paces all night throughout the house, , turns lights on. Last night he turned on the shower at 3:00. We have tried traxadone, seroquel, melatonin, Benadryl and Belsomra. Put a heater and electric blanket in his room. He’s not cold. Same routine every night, no stimulating tv shows before bed. Try not to let him sleep during the day which is hard since he doesn’t sleep at night. It’s amazing how awake he is considering no sleep.  He is so out of it because of no sleep. Am I missing something ( besides a good nights sleep)?

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    My mother sleeps very little either night or day.  Never appears tired.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My husband is just the opposite, all he wants to do is stay in his bed. I don’t think he’s sleeping so much. Says that’s the only place he can be warm. When he’s up he’s walking around looking for the cold. Touching the walls, the corners of the walls, feeling the air. When the heat comes on (of course the air comes out cool before the heat) that’s when he finds the cold. Tells me I’m trying to kill he because I’m freezing him to death. Most of the time he’s sitting in his chair with a heater in front of him, multilayers of clothes on and a jacket. Wears a toboggan all day and sleeps in it. It’s so warm in the house sometimes I have to go outside to cool off.  

Otis you are definitely missing a good nights sleep! I hope you can get something to help your husband sleep. 

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    That sounds exhausting for you both!  A couple of thoughts, and you probably have done this - has he been seen by a medical professional for this?  Are you going to bed at his usual bedtime?  Does he get plenty of fresh air and exercise during the day?  No caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, even tea - those are my ideas.  Best wishes for some sleep!!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more