Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Tapping feet constantly

IS anyone dealing with LO tapping feet constantly? Over the last couple weeks my husband has started tapping his feet on floor constantly while sitting.  It's grinding on my nerves. I just want to scream "STOP IT"!

Comments

• KathyF1
    KathyF1 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    My husband taps his fingers on the chair. I’m not sure why. If it gets too irritating I have asked him to stop and he will quit. This disease is so strange.
  • Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 472
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes, my HWD does this but not as intensely anymore since starting 

Zoloft (sertraline). He still taps his fingernails on his coffee cup every morning .

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Restlessness takes many forms in Alzheimer's. Tapping is more annoying, but safer than walking all the time and cheaper than wanting/needing to "go out" all the time.
  • Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Marie, 

With dementia one thing you can be sure of, tapping will be replaced by something worse.  Sorry, Rick 

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hi Marie,

Yes, about 2 years ago, my DH started tapping one foot unconsciously at the table, when seated in his chair, and at first, if someone called it to his attention, he could stop it.  But he would resume later... the only time he was still was when he was asleep. We talked to his provider about it, and after some investigating - yes, just a symptom of the disease.  He couldn't really help it.  It's so upsetting to see changes happening. 

• Marie67
    Marie67 Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments
    Rick4407, Yes, I'm sure something will replace it. I'm hoping it's not something worse. Since his diagnosis in July, seems like every month we've had different issues. I guess as long as they don't all happen at once, I need to be thankful. Some days I feel like I'm the only one dealing with this diease. Then I read caregivers post in this forum, and know I'm not alone. It's like kindred spirits.
  • Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    My husband is an anxious foot tapper, too. He doesn’t know he has Alzheimer’s but knows he’s not free, not home, and wants to leave his facility and find work. He takes medicine and it takes just the edge off his misery. Medication does not stop his tapping, but it gets him to sit down.
  • RobertsBrown
    RobertsBrown Member Posts: 143
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I see your foot tapper, and raise you one zipper-zipper.  Just zips up and down constantly.

This is an indicator that it's time to change the channel, or music, or activity.

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Marie, the replacement is not always bad.  My DW is now in early stage 7, she has replaced constant walking with just sitting and staring.  Easier to live with but much sadder.  Rick
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    My dw would pace all the time up and down the hallway of our home. Now I would give anything that he could do the pacing without assistance. He no longer can walk without two people helping him and walking has become very difficult. I look back and think why did so many little things bother me...
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Marie, I know what you mean about constant changes.  And although it's a lonely feeling, we are all going through some phase of this, and empathize wholeheartedly!  I always find that someone here has a suggestion, or is or has gone through a similar situation.  I hope your day is peaceful.
  • gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    My DH opens the fridge door at least 50x a day, and makes a clicking noise with his teeth as well. Today and yesterday his personality went from pleasant and loving in the beginning of the week, to nasty and hostile yesterday and today. 
    It's exhausting, but Im trying to ignore him and do just the basics today. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more