Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Fast Decline

I suspected for various reasons that DH has recently experienced a steep decline along his Alzheimer’s journey and my fear was validated at his doctor appointment yesterday.  He was given a MoCA test and his score had dropped to 8 (severe impairment) from a 14 (moderate impairment) when tested less than 1 year ago.  He was diagnosed in 2014 and each year would show either no score change or only a 1 point decrease.  He was fortunate that his Alzheimer’s progression has been very slow during the past few years but things are changing so quickly now and I need to step up my caregiver role.  Within the past six months, he has new difficult behavioral issues and has lost many daily routine skills.  Family members who have seen him recently are shocked at the difference. Has anyone seen their LO have such a huge decline in a short period of time after coasting along in slow progression for years?  Or, is this just part of the normal disease progress?  He was tested for a UTI yesterday but cleared.  He is not experiencing pain.  We have no changes in routine that would cause him to be stressed. 

Comments

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I have found that my DH too has had a steady but much increased decline in the last 3 months.  We said goodbye to our 12 year old lab just before Thanksgiving, and it seems like he's really gone downhill since then.  I suppose the horribly cold winter we've been experiencing hasn't helped either.  He can no longer understand or follow even the most simple of instructions.  He just watches whatever I put on TV for him, and passes the time.
  • mommafour
    mommafour Member Posts: 82
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    CStrope - Same with my DH.  Or, he mostly sleeps all day.  So sorry about your dog.  DH has an older Lab/Boxer mix as companion.  I think he will decline further too when his dog is no longer by his side.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mommafour
    mommafour Member Posts: 82
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Victoria - I like that idea (especially no vet bills).  Something to think about for the future.
  • Gustersmith
    Gustersmith Member Posts: 4
    Second Anniversary First Comment

My mom has 3 of these (my brother & SIL keep giving them to her & she refuses to get rid of any of them) & they are such a joy for her. She pets & hugs & kisses them. I highly recommend them, although I would just get one.

• ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My DH went was at late stage 4, developed a UTI skipped stage 5 and 6, went to stage 7 for a bit and then passed away. This all happened in a 6 month period. He had been driving, cooking, laundry, etc right before. It’s different for everyone.

• BothDementia
    BothDementia Member Posts: 9
    Second Anniversary First Comment

Ever since Dad had to use the foley catheter, he went from stage 4 down to 6e in 5 months. It is heartbreaking to see LO decline so fast. It doesn't take much --- loosing a pet, hospitalization, UTI , COVID --- for their dementia to take a hit for the worse. I keep watching videos of him before the catheter, he was singing, chatting, walking in the park, and enjoying kids playing on the playground. Now, he would barely crack a smile, sleeps most of the day, and disinterested in most things around him. Whatever happens next, it will be memories of him in his good days that I will remember.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more