Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Marta(2)

Mint
Mint Member Posts: 2,680
Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Marta enjoy your comments on here.  There is such a need for what you have done starting the Adult Family Home.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ditto. We could use a lot more of those.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

You all know what I went through with my husband with EOAD.

Now, it is a joyful experience caring for our residents AND THEIR FAMILIES!

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello Dearest Marta:  I had no idea you had developed an Adult Family Home; what a wonderful thing to do and so much need.

Can you tell us more about it?  I would love to hear about the different facets of it and how it is going, etc.  I am delighted to know that someone with your high standards is at the helm.  Is this what you are now doing fulltime or are you still in overall med practice?   Will be delighted to hear more from you . . .

J.

• Marta

Dear Jo:  It was a 2-year process - many hoops to jump through.  Our opening in the fall coincided with my move to Sequim, WA from the midwest.

We are licensed for six residents, with permission for ten if we install a sprinkler system.  We have an MD owner/director (my  #3 son), a resident manager (my DIL), an on-site NP (me), and two full-time caregivers.  The average age of our residents is the mid 90's!  Currently we have four residents.

I do this full-time now (although it doesn't take all my time).  

My #1 son is finishing nursing school.  We are recruiting him.  As you can see, it is truly a family home.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

How wonderful, Marta, for you and your family, also for the patients and their families!  I wish you much success!

Iris

• Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    This absolutely fantastic to read about.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I so wish there were a similar option here, but there's not and not likely to be any time soon, sadly.  Not the infrastructure statewide to support the licensing supervision.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    What a wonderful option.
  • Marta

M1:  YOU could start an AFH, in your modified farm house, if suitable, or a different property.  It would be a wonderful way to spend your retirement, and a great way to DEFY ALZHEIMER'S.  Your partner could be the first resident.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Marta I think what you and your family are doing is amazing. God bless you your family and and the residents.
  • Iris L.

M1, Marta is right, you could start your own AFH with your LO as your first patient.  Then you could structure everything the way you want.  When I was much younger, my friend, who is a nurse, wanted her and I to go in together on a group home for adults.  In CA, there was training and funding.  Considering your desire to seek alternate arrangements for your LO, this might be a consideration.

Iris

• Jo C.

Marta, what a wonderful and satisfying venture!  Big surprise to find out that you are now in Sequim!  "The Blue Hole" as airline pilots call it as when all of Washington perpetually sits in constant drizzle; Sequim is happily with blue skies.  That attracted us when we planned to make a move to Washington.

Surprise comes about because my DH and I spent a lot of time taking multiple trips to Sequim. We had planned to move there some years ago.  In fact, we were working with a Realtor regarding purchasing property on Bell Hill where we had planned to build a house. Great view of the Strait of Juan de Fuca.  Beautiful country.

However; multiple family issues arose with parents and it did not come to pass.  I imagine the town has grown somewhat since then.  Wonder how it is for access to medical centers now.

Are you going to be exclusively an AFH for dementia persons only, or will you be accepting persons without dementia.  I also wonder if you are able to accept persons using walkers and perhaps even those who may be in a wheelchair.  Questions, questions, that's me!

Anyway; it would have been a big smile to have Johanna being able to wave to Marta in lovely Sequim if things had worked differently.

Best of best wishes being sent your way and big Congratulations on your new life,

J.

• Marta

Jo. Our AFH is on Bell Hill and has great views!

Yes, we accept residents without dementia - our eldest is of sound mind. All are in wheelchairs and some use the Hoyer lift. 

My son/DIL just announced they closed on a second home on the east side of Sequim.

Jo:  it’s not too late to realize your dream by moving to Sequim!  We’d offer you a job if you wanted one.

We have good medical care in town. For more advanced care, one goes to Port Angeles (15 minutes), Silverdale (one hour), and of course Seattle (two hours). 

• Jo C.

The other town we were very interested in was, Poulsbo.  I am now curious about your transition; from middle of the country all the way to Sequim in the Pacific Northwest - how did you know of and finally choose Sequim?

I wonder if your son is in practice in the Pacific Northwest.  Does he have a Board Certified specialty?  You mention your son and DIL purchasing a second house; is that for themselves or perhaps for opening a second AFH?   Marta, I am so sorry for all the questions, your news has me delighted and as you can see, fills me with questions.

One thing I have always wondered about with AFHs, is how you staff and manage the night shift . . . how does one ensure staff is awake and that they are not having personal friends invited in for company in the late night.  Knowing Marta; I imagine you have that all under control.  Also, how do you manage who does the cooking.  Lots to think about when taking on such an endeavor, well understood it took two years to get it all up and going.  Just so happy for you and the idea that families of your residents are important and are part of your care philosophy, that is awesome and will be part of the key to your great success.

Goodness; small world for sure.  Now someone will pop up and say they live in Poulsbo, and I will be once again surprised. One of our Members of long standing lives in Gig Harbor.

When we were looking at properties, Bell Hill had not much built on it and was heavily tree'd.  I would imagine that it is now more built up due to the magnificent views for one thing. The side of the hill the property we were considering had only two other homes and they were quite a distance apart.  Do you live on the grounds of the AFH or are you separate?    You must be very busy to say the least, but I wonder if you have found some favorite things to do in Sequim.

You are so kind, Marta to consider offering me a position.  Unfortunately, I am no longer in for the long haul of direct patient care.  Been in Admin. too long and also now longer in the tooth myself.  Ah, "maturity"!  (Grin.)

I can well imagine how wonderfully managed all is with you at the helm at your AFH.  I also imagine that your setting is also with very high standards too and the living areas must, in all probability, be beautifully appointed.

Well; it appears I have run out of questions for the time being, once again, apologies are extended from excited me and I am so happy for you.

J.    

• Marta
    Jo:  I was in Poulsbo this morning because my dog needed emergency surgery for gastric volvulus. He survived- now it is wait and see. 
    Will write more when he is stable. 
  • Jo C.

Oh Marta; that poor dog, so hope he does well in recovery.  Dogs are such good "people," and they do not ask for much except to love and be loved and sometimes to play or go for a walk.  So hope he heals soon.

J.

• Jo C.

Thinking of you Marta, and so hoping all is going well for recovery for your dear dog.  It is so hard to see them unwell and in difficulty.  Heartfelt best wishes are being sent your way.

J.

• Marta
    Thank you, Jo. Kody is recovering well but has a prolonged ileus, requiring that he remain in hospital. With each day, though, I have more hope. When he comes home, he’ll need a lot of attention.
  • Jo C.

Gosh Marta; poor Kody.   Hope motility returns soon.  He must be a bit unsettled being away from home in the clinic and probably with IV fluids.  Yes; when he happily returns home he will need a little more TLC and oversight for awhile but he will be once again feeling secure and cared for in his own home with his beloved people around him.  Here's hoping all moves along very well and you get him back quickly.

J.

• Iris L.

Marta, it's bad enough when people get sick, but when a pet becomes ill, it's extra hard because they don't know what's happening to them, only that they hurt.  I hope your Kody recovers quickly! 

Iris

• Jo C.

Hello Marta, I was thinking of you and wondering how Kody was doing.  So hope things are progressing well.  

J.

• Marta
    I’m happy to report Kody is doing great. The tumor on his spleen was benign and ileus has resolved. Had to buy him a coat as he was shivering with so much hair having been shaved!
  • Jo C.

I am delighted to hear Kody is doing well and is back home with all the love.  A coat - poor wee thing; it's cold up there!

May I ask what breed Kody is?  Give Kody a hug and pat from me - (and a cookie if it is okay.)

J.

• Marta
    Jo:  Kody is a standard poodle, which is why I said hair, rather than fur, has been shaved!
  • Jo C.

Kody will have to wait for his hair to grow back in to be ooh-la-la again.  Bet his new winter coat is cute on him.  Has he seemed to be okay and settled back in after such a traumatizing time away from home? 

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney