Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another setback

DH has been in memory care since mid August 2022. He has fallen many times,had some seizure like events and many other problems.We live in NC and the intestinal flu has been rampant. Sure enough he got it and along with it, severe diarrhea and vomiting. Several of the med techs and aides got it and....I got it a few days ago. I have never thrown up so much or had such bad diarrhea in my life. Now I feel weak as a cat and don't  have the strength to even visit him.Just seems we get over one trauma only to have it replaced by another one.

I wonder if other areas have an uptick in that stomach virus? 

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Elshack, I'm sorry to hear about the stomach flu. I know that's no fun. Just make sure that you don't overdo it yourself. If you need time to get back on your feet, take it. 

I don't think there is an abundance of stomach flu here (NW Indiana).

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Elshack-

I'm sorry to hear you've all been sick. That sounds like Norovirus. We don't seem to have an uptick here yet; I have a friend who is a pediatric RN in a big practice and she says they're mostly seeing COVID, influenza, some adenovirus, and RSV (which seems to have peaked here) 

The GI viruses are tough to control in any congregate setting but especially in a place where handwashing is harder to make happen. Around these parts the more typical scenario is for an elementary school to be shut down by an outbreak for a deep disinfecting. My friend says these often seem related to family travel-- often cruising during spring break. 

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney